ZF5 2wd to 4wd?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tailshaft housing, a new mainshaft, a seal and bearing kit and the tools to swap all of the gear cluster and bearings onto the new shaft. IMHO it isn't worth the trouble, do yourself a big favor save the headache and sell the 2wd tranny and get a 4wd tranny It'll be cheaper.

oregon-mike

Reaction score
If you were closer I'd be trying to work a deal with you there h20. ZF5 swap in place of my E4OD is on my wish list....

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you were closer I'd be trying to work a deal with you there h20. ZF5 swap in place of my E4OD is on my wish list....

I am a lot closer and I also have a 2WD ZF-5 I'd like to sell. Send me a PM if you're interested....

Last edited:

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could always get a "divorced" transfer case and just run a short lenght of driveshaft to connect the trans and t-case...been done thousands of times...do a search on google..

Rawpower

'Froading Freak
Reaction score
If you plan on rebuilding the 4wd trans when you get it, then for a little more you could just swap the 2wd tranny to 4wd while its being rebuilt anyways... I have the mainshaft and tailhousing available, as well as the BW1356 that went behind the trans originally

Edit: Really the absolute easiest for you would be to find a divorced NP205 and put it in. May (probably will) have to fabricate a a crossmember though

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i put a divorce transfer case in a 91 I converted to d60 a couple years ago, was still alot eaiser than swapping out transmissions, Had to make crossmember and driveshafts, but the end result was well worth the work. Just my 1/50th of a dollar. -Brad-

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Well my plan is buying a 350 with a 460 and Zf5 4x4 already, and then my parts truck is a 7.3 with a 4x2 Zf5. so i will keep looking and see what will work the best? I could just swap guts??:eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US