ZF Swap Progress

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had my ZF for about a year, just not enough time to put it in since I daily drive my truck. On Monday something in my t19 let loose on the way to work. Not sure if it was the clutch or the trans itself but I was at a light with the clutch pushed in and all of the sudden the whole truck started to vibrate only when the clutch was in, it would shudder on takeoff and if I hit the pedal easy it drove ok but made some weird ticking noises and if I gave it the fuel it vibrated bad. Anyone have an idea on what happened? The clutch looked ok and the TB and pilot were in good shape. Not sure what happened but it has forced me into finally doing the ZF.

Monday night- got the truck in the garage, drive shafts pulled

Tues night- got everything out and the new LUK FW and clutch bolted on

Wed night- got the ZF bolted in... I highly underestimated how hard this step would be, that thing is heavy! The rear support with the wings sucks to bolt back in big time and for some reason the ZF is hitting the front of it where the drain plug is so tomo I will have to add about 1/4 of spacer in between the mount and the brace to raise it up.

more to follow

MedicMoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too have the t-19 and want to do this swap. Ill be keeping an eye on this post. Any chance you can add some pics?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
My guess would be bearings were shot. When my zf went, it was such a god awful thing. Bearings were on the way out, plus at the same time the pto box came loose and ate up the input shaft gears. It tried locking up on me.
I can get pics if anyone's interested.
84TD- did you get a SMF or DMF?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I too have the t-19 and want to do this swap. Ill be keeping an eye on this post. Any chance you can add some pics?
I did this swap back in '05...I still contend it's the best mod I ever made to my truck. I took a bunch of pics; meant to do a write-up but life got in the way, but I still have them.

FWIW I found that the 4x4 T-19 and the 4x4 ZF were exactly the same length, so no driveshaft mods were needed...but, it might be a different story with a 2WD trans.

Dzlnut

Reaction score
Pictures would be awesome if you have time.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also have swapped in a ZF5. C6 was a bit shorter than the ZF but, it bolted in with just moveing a few holes on the trans crossmember. Also had to swap the trans tunnel pan in the floor of the cab.

I had a ton of pictures of the process, but Webshots is gone and so are my pics.

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828