York onboard air on an IDI

Brush 6

Reaction score
I just got a york Compressor my bro had laying around. He paid $30 for it and gave it to me. I have searched all over for someone who has done an on board air setup on their IDI using a york and no go. It's all jeep and Cummins. Anyone try this with an IDI? It's looks like a tough fit.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I saw a thread on here where a guy had a York on an air conditioning truck with v belts. Custom bracket put the York topdrivers side on same bracket and same height as factory round Sanden compressor.

Did any IDI come with a York from the factory? Wonderijgbif there's any brackets that may work or if it's gonna be custom for anything.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just spent the afternoon fitting a York in my engine bay. Probably post some pics of it tomorrow once I have it bolted in for good.
I ditched the a/c, and modded the stock compressor brackets for the York.
So the big question is; does your truck have a/c?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AFAIK no trucks left the factory with a York compressor, but there were trucks with dealer-installed air conditioning that had York compressors installed before they left the dealer's lot. So, brackets that will bolt on do exist (albeit they'll only work with no modification if your truck doesn't have a/c or you remove the FS6 compressor and mounts; you can relocate them with some fabrication work), but they're rather difficult to come by. Heath (hesutton) did this on his truck, but the pictures are long-gone courtesy of Webshots deleting everything...I don't know if there are any pics of the setup around OB or not...

{on edit} I found this thread, FWIW http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...compressor-bracket-for-6-9-7-3&highlight=york

Brush 6

Reaction score
I've got AC and don't want to take it out cause it's blows ice cold. Very nice in the summer. I was wondering if anyone did an on board air setup with a York without sacrificing the AC. Somehow run both compressors.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's not impossible, but it's going to be very difficult to add the York compressor without at the very least venting and recharging your air conditioning...OTOH, I completely understand not wanting to disturb the a/c system. I was seriously thinking about doing something like this, but at this point I'm leaning more towards an electric compressor...

Brush 6

Reaction score
The above link showed a guy who is running a York along side the factory ac compressor. That's just what I want to do. I don't want to use the York as the ac compressor. My stock one works fine. My plan is to use the York as the air compressor. I won't have to undo anything in the ac system as far as I know.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying; I meant that it's going to be difficult to do that without needing to temporarily remove the FS6 compressor, which might necessitate venting the system...or maybe not. If you can do it without disturbing the FS6, more power to you ;Sweet

IIRC Heath did his while he was putting the truck together, so he charged the air conditioning system after he installed both compressors...

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't get this far in my truck build project but have it all planed out. I was going to make a bracket that fits the 4 bolts on top the a/c compressor like an upside down L and mount the YORK beside the a/c compressor and run a serpentine belt down to the power steering pump. I already made all the fixtures to locate 2 power steering pulleys together and tig welded them together than cut the center out of the outside pulley. the only concern is the RPM of the YORK. wail running down the road. by my math at
2000 RPM=2395 at the YORK
2500 RPM=2994 at the YORK
and that's with using the drive pulley the same size as the power steering pulley
on www.broncoair.com they say don't want you to go over 2000 York RPM
also for more info look at www.kilbyenterprises.com

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Just don't turn it on going down the road...and as an fyi the broncoair kit is top quality and should fit any IDI with serp belt setup/ac compressor. Unfortunatly the ac compressor on the V-belt trucks (at least mine) makes it so the kit wont work.

Brush 6

Reaction score
I saw that kit. It would bolt on, but would it fit with the other various clutter and even let the hood close? That's what I'm wondering.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
I was going to test fit it on an IDI for everyone but that's when I found out the v-belt vs serp belt problem so couldn't. (still working on custom mount)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac