XL to XLT Lariat cab swap!

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all! First and foremost I apologize if this thread is in the wrong place. My 89 F350 ( 6.9, zf5, BW1356) cab is a plain Jane XL, with manual windows and door locks, cruise control and AC. It’s heading for inner and outer rockers, cab corners, and some floor patches. The driver floor is the worst because whoever installed the dump body back in her day drilled a hole through the firewall and into the very bottom of the cowl to run the idiot light wire for the “body raised” light. Every time it rains water runs right down the wire into the floor. I didn’t get around to dealing with it yet.

Now… I found a gentleman selling a 91 XLT Lariat cab, power everything and also with AC but the newer R134a system.
The cab overall is a 9.5 out of 10. A tiny little bit of rot at the bottom of each door and a little bit of nonsense starting due to runningboards on both sides which will be leaving immediately if I purchase it.

The bad:

1. The truck was automatic. Mine is a ZF5. I am guessing all I need to do is swap the tunnel? The truck was also four-wheel-drive, so the hole is already in the floor for the transfer case shifter. Do I just need to cut a hole for the master cylinder for the clutch?

2. The truck had a 300 6 cylinder (he’s keeping it btw, love that engine!) gasser. There is a chunk of wiring under the hood that looks like absolute spaghetti and what appears to be the computer on the firewall. I am hoping all of that is completely null and void? The other round connector next to it looks identical to the one that I have on my truck now so I’m hoping everything should be the same as far as other accessories?

I am really excited about this cab but if this is way more involved than what it appears to be perhaps I should just let this go. I fully intend to rip the dash out completely to the firewall so I can sound insulated and just really make it as quiet as possible purely for drivability comfort. Also thinking maybe it would be the time to fab up some kind of dog house extension for the day that the 12 valve Cummins I have (or DT360 I want!) may wind up in front of this cab somehow someway in whatever frame it sits on.

Please let me know your thoughts everyone. Thanks!!!

OI82

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest issue you will have is the transmission tunnel and the clutch pedal hole. I'm not saying it's a big deal, just saying that should be the hardest part.

I think the tunnel just unbolts on these so you should be able to swap it over. It's easy enough to block off the transfer case shifter hole.

I'm pretty sure the newer cabs had the clutch pedal reinforcement plate from the factory, but being it was an automatic it may not. If it doesn't make sure you put one in while you have it torn apart.

Really it should be a simple swap. I'd jump on it if it were me but hopefully someone else will chime in with their input.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The obs cabs have a block off plate for the clutch if it’s an auto, and the same for the transfer case lever. Hopefully the brick nose are the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.