WVO collection idea

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had ever used something along the lines of a spot sprayer to collect WVO? Something like: http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=4&paID=1034&sonID=159&page=2&productID=27237 I'd think that you could switch the leads on the battery and get the sprayer to pump, take the spray nozzle off and maybe hookup some type of prefilter so you don't mess up your pump, then when you get home you could reverse the leads again, run it through a regular hose (instead of pumping back through your filter) and pump it into your larger tank. It's 30 gallon sized and 1.0 gpm (though you can get higher volume). Just curious b/c I'm getting ready to start running some WVO and at just a little over $100 that would be awesome, of course maybe I'm cookoo too

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you'd be kicking yourself because it's so slow.

Originally, I used to load a drum into my pickup, drive to my restaurants, use the red harbor freight barrel pump ($20) with long hose attached to pump from restaurant's barrel into the one in my truck. Then, when I got home, I'd have to pump the stuff again, and unload the barrel. It worked well, but was more work loading & unloading the barrel than was necessary. Additionally, I unloaded in the alley, and if it rained, our dirt alley is impassible. So, I'd be stuck hauling the stuff around all the time.

What I've finally got to doing is using the 5 gallon cubies that oil comes in, load about 12 of those into the truck, then going to collect. Fill up each one. Easier to handle a bunch of little jugs than that huge barrel. When I get home, I dump it straight into my tank (either to make bio or to store for later). If the alley is wet, I just carry the jugs from the driveway, no big deal. I also like that I don't have the barrel sticking out of my bed...

I usually pick up about 40 - 50 gallons of oil each time I go out, and the hand pump works well. Filling up the small jugs gives your arm a good rest. I have thought about using harbor freights air-actuated pump....if I had a compressor on the truck, I think I'd do that.

I'd save your $100...and use either a manual method like this, or build a vacuum sucker....now that would be cool!

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
I'd save your $100...and use either a manual method like this, or build a vacuum sucker....now that would be cool!
I'll have to ask if they will give me some of the cubies I guess. I didn't know, I figured 1.0gpm was slow but for another like $50 I can get 2.5gpm...:dunno ...Just the hand pumps I saw at TSC were like 10 gallons per 100 revolutions and the best was 25 gallons per 100 revolutions, so I guess you're right...that 1.0gpm would be painfully slow even the 2.5gpm would be slow, too bad it wasn't a higher volume, having an integrated tank and pump setup for that cheap would be sweet :D

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I started using the cubies -- I hadn't asked anyone if they would keep them for me. They are just going to throw them away...you may also get really lucky and they'll put the used oil back into those cubies for you....then you don't have to pump at all. Two of mine do that now... and I've told myself that if I get another, I'll ask them to do the same.

I just asked one restaurant, and now I've got like 30 of those damn things...that's good, because they do eventually need to be replaced.

the HF pump claims to be 10 GPM...I don't think that's BS...
Harbor Freight Barrel Pump

They also have a "High Volume" pump..25 GPM
High Volume Barrel Pump

If you've never heard of the vacuum sucker collection idea...
Poke Here...

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
Before I started using the cubies -- I hadn't asked anyone if they would keep them for me. They are just going to throw them away...you may also get really lucky and they'll put the used oil back into those cubies for you....then you don't have to pump at all. Two of mine do that now... and I've told myself that if I get another, I'll ask them to do the same.

I just asked one restaurant, and now I've got like 30 of those damn things...that's good, because they do eventually need to be replaced.

the HF pump claims to be 10 GPM...I don't think that's BS...
Harbor Freight Barrel Pump

They also have a "High Volume" pump..25 GPM
High Volume Barrel Pump

If you've never heard of the vacuum sucker collection idea...
Poke Here...

That HF 10gpm will probably be what I get, for some reason I've got an affinity with that place...no matter how many crappy ching-wong tools I get :backoff

Might I ask what kind of storage tank you use? I'm just getting started and was debating between steel or plastic 55 gallon drums. They will be stored outside, possibly uncovered (probably throw a piece of wood or sheetmetal over them) and go from there as I'm just beginning.

Also, since it sounds like you like to keep things economical (some say I'm cheap ;Really ) I would like to know what kind of filtration setup you use? I know you're making bio and I'm just running WVO, but I figured you'd have some kind of filtering other than just washing.

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For storing my oil before making bio, I'm putting it into steel 55 gallon drums. Open top ones are best...it's easier to get stuff in and out of there. Plus, once you get it empty, you can clean it out periodically so you don't have a bunch of crap to deal with at one time. Mine are uncovered all the time.

For my finished bio, I have a 275 gallon tote that I put finished fuel into. I don't filter BEFORE putting into this tank. On the outlet of the tank, I have a....you guessed it -- Harbor Freight 1" clear Water pump. The outlet of the pump has a goldenrod fuel filter that I got a O-reilly's. After the pump, I installed some fuel hose and a regular fuel nozzle for filling up my truck. There are a few mods I would make if doing it again, but as it stands now it works.

I haven't had any problems doing it this way, my truck filter stays very clean, so I feel certain that the goldenrod is sufficient.

Yes -- I'm cheap ;Sweet . But, I've learned a few things doing this. This oil is not good for a pump. Eventually, gunk and crap will build up on them, and even a good pump will fail. Knowing that, I am comfortable replacing the crappy stuff a little more than you might with a better built unit, but the cost savings can't be beat.

I love your "ching-wong" quote...I may use that sometime..

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
For storing my oil before making bio, I'm putting it into steel 55 gallon drums. Open top ones are best...it's easier to get stuff in and out of there. Plus, once you get it empty, you can clean it out periodically so you don't have a bunch of crap to deal with at one time. Mine are uncovered all the time.

For my finished bio, I have a 275 gallon tote that I put finished fuel into. I don't filter BEFORE putting into this tank. On the outlet of the tank, I have a....you guessed it -- Harbor Freight 1" clear Water pump. The outlet of the pump has a goldenrod fuel filter that I got a O-reilly's. After the pump, I installed some fuel hose and a regular fuel nozzle for filling up my truck. There are a few mods I would make if doing it again, but as it stands now it works.

I haven't had any problems doing it this way, my truck filter stays very clean, so I feel certain that the goldenrod is sufficient.

Yes -- I'm cheap ;Sweet . But, I've learned a few things doing this. This oil is not good for a pump. Eventually, gunk and crap will build up on them, and even a good pump will fail. Knowing that, I am comfortable replacing the crappy stuff a little more than you might with a better built unit, but the cost savings can't be beat.
:thumbsup: I saw a goldenrod filter and filter housing at the local TSC so that's what I figured I'd use for prefiltering before it goes into the truck, or maybe I'll just put the goldenrod on the truck and coolant heat it (b/c it's WVO) and prefilter with something of a little higher micron rating. I'd like to get a big tank sometime if this takes off, but right now space is of an issue and I haven't got my first drop of WVO yet so...

I'm definitely with you on the cheap stuff, I'd rather replace 5 $20 pumps than 1 $200 pump any day of the week LOL My bet is the pump I use for collection may do double duty as the pump from my drums to my fuel tank for a while.

I love your "ching-wong" quote...I may use that sometime..
Lord knows I've bought and broke enough of those tools :rotflmao I usually buy the first set of anything there b/c it's cheap and to see if I'll use it more than once, then if (or rather when) I break it I feel that warrants the purchase of a higher quality tool. I actually just recently broke a 1/2" "thick walled" impact socket, just my 165 lbs and a 12" breaker bar LOL

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
Just found TWO confirmed restaurants that are more than happy to let me take their oil, one is a chinese place and one is a bar and grill, both of which you'd think would have decent oil. Now I need to get my butt out and buy that pump and have to find something to store the oil in, I don't have any drums yet...exciting stuff :D

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... Mine are uncovered all the time.

I thought I might ought to clarify this for someone else who may be reading...when I said I leave it uncovered, the drum has a lid, tight fitting and closed all the time. But, I don't have a "shelter" for the drum itself....so it sees full sunlight (but my oil is not contaminated with dust, rain, etc.)

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I would also bet that the flow rating would go down considerably pumping something as thick as veggy oil. I have a sprayer just like that, the 2.5 model in fact, and can tell you that while it works quite nicely for what it is intended, it will only pump 2.5 of water type liquid under perfect conditions. Oil would slow it considerably I am certain.

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
well i went out and bought the same HF pump as bbressler uses, also got 10' of black hose to go with it...now if tonight I can just find some containers with lids at lowes and something to prefilter I'll be bringing home some WVO tomorrow after work :D

question though, would I be best to put a goldenrod filter on the pump that I'll pump it out of my storage tank and into my fuel tank or should i do something else?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
well i went out and bought the same HF pump as bbressler uses, also got 10' of black hose to go with it...now if tonight I can just find some containers with lids at lowes and something to prefilter I'll be bringing home some WVO tomorrow after work :D

The beauty of the cubies is that if you let them settle over time, you can pour off the clear oil easier than buckets or pails.

question though, would I be best to put a goldenrod filter on the pump that I'll pump it out of my storage tank and into my fuel tank or should i do something else?

FWIW, I have a Goldenrod filter and have had poor results with it when used with 120*F WVO. Perhaps it's better suited for bioD? :dunno I'd put it as the last filter for bioD.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
I thought I might ought to clarify this for someone else who may be reading...when I said I leave it uncovered, the drum has a lid, tight fitting and closed all the time. But, I don't have a "shelter" for the drum itself....so it sees full sunlight (but my oil is not contaminated with dust, rain, etc.)

Best location for long term oil storage is sealed and stored in a cool dark place. Oil oxidises more rapidly when open to air, light and heat.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
hheynow what kind of problems are you having with the golden rod? I have 2 in parallel on my pump and can get about 500 gallons pumped before I need to change filters and thats being heated

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
hheynow what kind of problems are you having with the golden rod?

Funny thing is I don't remember. It was many months ago. Once I tossed the filter I kept using the empty housing which is in series after my three sediment cartriges. So I still do use it sort of. Believe it or not, the filterless housing does indeed trap sludge/water and it's great having the petcock on the bottom to drain it. I still have three spare Goldenrod filters in boxes. Perhaps I'll try again.