Writers block. Help me out.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gang, getting tired of the "what do I look for in a used truck" questions on TDS, and am putting together THIS so I can point them here and hopefully attract some new members. I've run out of stuff to add. What's missing?

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
Mel,
I thinking about how a small puddle(s) of fuel accumulating below the injectors is no need to panic. They do wear. New hose/fitting/o-ring kit less than $30.
John

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mel-
pulling the oil cap while the motor is running and checking for blow-by. At idle there whould be a minimal amount of "smoke" coming out of the filler cap hole and as soon as you bring the throttle off idle to about 1000rpm, the smoke should disappear. If the smoke does not go away by 1800rpm, the motor has excessive blow-by. Also, the smoke output should be a steady stream, not a large "puff". That would be an indicator of one cylinder having bad rings.
One more thing, when removing the oil cap, take a quick look for condensation on the inside of the filler cap. If there is presence of water, that is the beginning signs of trouble.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
A mention of observing smoke color may also be helpful. I always tell people to set the passenger side mirror so they can see the exhaust while driving. And then check smoke color during normal cruising, lugging up hill, normal acceleration up hill, and going against compression down hill.

Normal cruising should be light haze to no smoke
Lugging should be brown or black
Normal acceleration should be light haze to no smoke
Against compression should be no visible smoke

Of course black and light brown is good, all else needs to be investigated further.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. I've added a couple of sections to cover that. Calvin, you may have missed I had a lot of what you said under oil conditions, but I expanded it slightly.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Mel, ;Sweet

In the GP area, I would mention checking the cannon plug on the fender for loose connection/burnt wires leading to the relay and what if anything was done to repair or ignore it as this shoud give quite a good insight as to the condition of the rest of the vehicle.

The DMFW issues are dead on but it might be a good thing to describe the sounds of a failed DMFW akin to a washing macine that is out of balance on the spin cycle- with the truck idling.

Clutch issues....ya missed those pesky plastic bushings :D that could be misinterpeted as clutch failure to the un initiated LOL

In the nozzle/IP area, how about mentioning the steel line clamps....abscense of those will lead to line failure and fuel leaks.

Overall great article :hail Hope I'm not looking too deep.

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
Mel is at it again... I'll second the :hail :hail :hail

looks like everything is covered (and then some), but maybe a mention of the dual batteries & their proper size? oh, and that darn headlight switch?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geo, good catch on the 7.3 clutch bushings, and I'll add the wiring thing. If you read it again, you'll note I already got the line clamps covered. I'm thinking the headlight switch might be beyond the scope of the article, and the battery power was mentioned under hard starts. I gotta watch what I put in, after all it is supposed to help somebody shopping for a used one, and not be a biblical account of what could go wrong with these trucks, although it seems inevitiable that we will have one someday.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Look great! I just wish I had all that info when I was going to look at mine!

One question:
Take a look at this area to ensure the integrity of the block, and throw away the cord to the block heater if you buy it. You do not want to use the factory block heater on any 6.9.
Why? Something wrong with them or do they not work or?

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Mel,
Excellent work. I think you've got it covered well.
One minor point that maybe you should add to the "Oil Condition" area is to caution people who are new to diesels that black oil is OK.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know Mike, I meant to put that in as I did think of it. I'll be sure to do that. As for the block heater, it's my personal superstition. I used the block heater on the Moose Truck all the time when it was new. First 2 to 5 years I used it with no problem. Since learning about the block cracking problem, I've decided that perhaps depending on how the block heater is situated in the block, it may be possible that he heating element is too close to the block wall on some engines, thus contributing to the cracking situation. I have no data to back this up, as I have tried to corellate block heater use to block cracking, to no avail. However, when I write tech articles, I try to write them to err on the side of safety, and not push the envelope. If I say it's OK to use the heater, and somebody else says it isn't, and somebody's block cracks and they say "That damn Mel Agne made me crack my block", well I'd rather them have to say "I had to buy a new starter cause that damn Mel Agne won't let me use my block heater". :angel: Also, I didn't say anything much about the E40D. Should I? I don't know much about them.

Last edited:

JimmyDee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
getting tired of the "what do I look for in a used truck" questions on TDS, and am putting together THIS so I can point them here and hopefully attract some new members
How long do you seriously think a link to here will last over there?
Jim

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't link in a post. BUT, you can in a PM. At least for now. cookoo

pafixitman

Reaction score
Agnem said:
Also, I didn't say anything much about the E40D. Should I? I don't know much about them.

I think you should. I saw you glossed over that. I figured your "comfort" level was not high w/ them.

The $.02 I can add is that they should have a nice cooler already installed on em. Change the fluid often. Jumping tach is a minor ($50) issue that should be corrected.

Some people bad mouth the tranny, but other than a leaking tail shaft seal mine has been great (even better when I get the Factory Tech valve body installed!).

Goat boy might have some advice. The tranny is the only thing he can't break! LOL

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mel-
maybe we need to do a article on "known maintence problems" on the IDI and the wrapper supporting it. That way, we can bring out the symptoms and cures. I know, more work for you.... :puke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online