would like help picking a new engine

Longwolf

Reaction score
So my old 7.3 is toast and I'm looking at options.
The engine is for an 89 U-haul with an 11 foot box.
The most important things to me are reliability and fuel mileage.

1. Spend about $1500 for a used truck, check the engine and hope I get lucky.

2. Spend about $4000 for a rebuilt from Promar or Jasper. Promar's warranty was 18 months, 75k miles.

3. I had a local diesel mechanic, with a good reputation, tell me he could get an engine from Ford with a 2 year warranty, unlimited milage for $8100. I'm not sure if it's a new or rebuilt engine. I dropped the phone when I heard 8k.

4. I've found a listing for a local donor that sounds interesting.
$3000 for - "1993 7.3 idi turbo Diesel engine,automatic transmission with Gear Vendor overdrive."
I've never had a turbo or an overdrive.

How would ya'll go and do you have any other ideas?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Issue with buying a drivetrain that has been removed from the truck is you don't know it's condition or why it was removed in the first place. How toast is your engine? Do you need a replacement asap? Or can you wait for machinework while your engine gets built?

Longwolf

Reaction score
The one with the overdrive is in a running truck.
I won't even considered buying a used engine unless I can run it and do some tests.
I tried buying just a motor once. When I drained it's oil, the first thing I got was a gallon of water.
I do need the truck PDQ. Every tried working, shopping and doing laundry by bus? It @$!#s.

Last edited:

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the IH dealership? Ifnit was me, I would probably but a new one or a refurb by a reputable company. Just cuz if it is a daily driver and used for work, you wanna have a it or that's gonna keep pumping strong and long in there.

Longwolf

Reaction score
It's more than just a daily driver / work truck , I've also got part of it set up as an rv so I can live in it. :)

Any idea what IH would want for an engine?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never priced one out but it's worth a shot. Sounds like you have a pretty cool setup. I would go check that listing out, if it's in good shape it may be worth it

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
My choice and advice is to rebuild what you have, but it does not sound like you have the time. Rebuilding an engine: parts, machining, time is about $3300 and two weeks or less, depending on parts sources and machine shop lead. But then you have a brand new engine with known parts and assembly.

Buying used is always a shot in the dark, unless you can fire it up cold and drive it a little. Then you are buying another truck, not just an engine.

Longwolf

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards the truck with the turbo.
I priced an overdrive a while back and a new one was $3000. Plus I get the turbo.
If the engine lasted long enough, I can save up to have it rebuilt, if necessary.
Plus I'd have a lot of spare parts that I could pick the best of.

Here's what I can think of to check. ..
1. Cold engine compression test
2. Warm her up and check for smoke.
3. Check for blow-by
4. See how she sounds and runs.
5. Test for cooling system additives

Anything else I should check out?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell the owner ahead of time that you want to start the engine completely cold, I hate it when I get there and the truck is already running. Since you are looking to use the turbo I would check shaft play

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, pull off the air intake to the turbo, look at the wheels in there. If they look like they've been sand blasted, not a good thing. Should look clean and nicely finished.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing....is your cube body on a cab chassis like pickup cab...or a van chassis?

In essense a cube truck or cube van?

If Van remember there are subtle differences involved between pu and van chassis engines....such as exhaust manifold so x over pipe would need to be custom fabbed. Oil cooler and fuel filter as well.

It would be good having double over whild hiway driving

JM7.3CW Eh!

Longwolf

Reaction score
Just called Napa looking for the coolant additive test strips.
All he found was a radiator test kit for 90 something dollars. He said it has the strips, but he hasn't got a way to order one.
Anyone know where to find them?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin