Worth messing with this starter?

dpaqu

Reaction score
I thought I had burned out the starter on my '86 f-250 when it all of a sudden it quite cranking. Weather is finally good enough that I got some time to pull the starter. When I did I noticed that the wire that grounds the starter to the case had come un-soldered. I took it to Auto zone and holding that ground in place the starter (Mitsubishi) checked out O.K. Now in addition to figuring out how to re-solder or better yet crimp and solder this back together I have to figure out how to run the starting solenoid wire to the unit due to the fact that all the threads on the bolt that holds the wire have corroded to nothing. I am tempted for ease of use and peace of mind to just spend the 140 bucks to just get a new one.

Is that a waste of money? How long do these starters last if you don't overheat them?

If they crap out every few years anyway I won't feel so bad about wimping out and getting a new(rebuilt?) starter.

BTW this forum is a godsend
You must be registered for see images attach

sassyrel

Reaction score
that shouldnt have come unsoldered--either you had a short in the armature--or a short to ground in the fields---high amp draw melted it----just get another one--

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What he said. Get a starter with a lifetime warranty, and you'll be good to go. BTW, make sure it's another gear-reduction starter...either a Mitsubishi or a Nippon-Denso. A direct-drive starter will not crank the engine as fast...

I have a lifetime warranty starter from Pep Boys, and I think you can also get one with a lifetime warranty at AutoZone...

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
me I would either take it to a rebuild shop and have them go through the entire thing or just purcahse a drop in replacement. reason I say this is because you pulled high amps which caused the problems to begin with so in my mind there is something else wrong - probably worn brushes causing higher amp draw...

dpaqu

Reaction score
Is going to a rebuild shop better than buying a rebuilt unit? Hmmm. I guess that would depend on the rebuild shop.

Autozone lifetime warranty is interesting but I am more interested in it just not failing in the future Getting a free replacement after I spend 300 dollars getting towed is not a good deal but if everything else is the same it might be worth the premium over the internet.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
This is my experience with starters.
When I bought my truck, it had a direct drive unit on it. It was an IH unit that used a Chevy solenoid.
When it finally died, I went on a quest. My experience with autozone on their lifetime warranty is that I would rather have a part that's going to last a while, than a cheap one that I can replace for free on a regular basis.
So, I went searching on ebay. Tons of new starters. All made in china. (See lifetime warrantee= could fail at any moment)
I ended up buying a used gear reduction unit on ebay, that's been in the truck for 2 years now, without a problem.
The moral of the story is this.
Spend the money to rebuild your factory unit, or spend the money to buy a factory replacement, if money isn't an issue.
The cheap made in china ones, even if they come with a lifetime warrantee will fail sooner, and you'll end up changing it again anyway.
I vote rebuild.

sassyrel

Reaction score
which is why i rebuild starters--buts therein lies another problem--guess where near 90% of the rebuild parts are coming from--yup--china!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe Mc

Reaction score
I went with the AutoZone lifetime deal. If it dies when I am far from home it will be easier to find another AutoZone than get it back to my local re-builder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online