Wont Start

zigzkidz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck is a 1987 Ford 6.9 Diesel, the owner says that the truck will not start after sitting overnight, so he replaced the glowplug realy and glowplugs, and still no go. But it will start if you coast start it. Any ideas what the problem might be?

sassyrel

Reaction score
if it coast starts, it aint compression. you need to ohm the glowplugs. none should have more than 2 ohms. and convert it to pusbutton for the gp's. why?? because the controllers are known for sticking, and goodbye gp's. and i doubt if its fuel,if coast again starts it---once its running and warmed up, does it instant start after shutoff??? if so, again gp's. and if the gp's are bad--be VERY careful taking them out--any brand other than berus like to break off the tips-----berus are motorcraft-----

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thought is that if you can push start it, its probably the starter. The 87 glow plug system isn't a bad system, not the one that kills glow plugs like the 86 and earlier ones. The actually remembered to "failsafe" the solid state system. So yeah if it can be coast started its probably electrical, either the starter or the batteries are weak. Also check for badly corroded cables and exposed wiring particularly on the fire hazard positive cable.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
All of the above or an air leak in the fuel return line/supply line possibly

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
i guess there is a slight chance its air in the fuel, but im sure everyone else and i were thinking that it wouldnt start being push started if there was air in her.

zigzkidz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i tested some things and the new selinoid was putting constant power the the glow plugs , must of gotten the wrong selinoid. Is the anyway to test the controller

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More likely you got the glow plug harnesses hooked up to the wrong terminal on the controller. Its real easy to do. I hurt the first set of glow plugs by doing this when I converted to the solid state controller. The harness wires need to be on the last terminal at the edge of the zigzag relay. A typical mistake is to put one of the red wires to the zigzag relay or the harnesses to the same terminal as the red wire goes on the relay.

zigzkidz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the owner bought the wrong seliniod so i went and picked up a whole new controller and selinio im going to try that out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online