Won't start 00'F-250

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
My Truck won't start..went out to lunch and the truck wouldn't Start...it would click over but that was it???I pulled my chip first thing ..just as a precausion but nothing good ..If I had a battery go bad would that do it??? We put cables on it but it acts like it won't take charge???Help

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
Have you replaced your batteries? If you still have stock, I'd beg to guess that's your problem.

If you're getting clicking, it's probably not the starter, it's the battery being practically depleted. Acting like it won't take a charge is another potential "battery" issue.

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
Yep, I had to do that when I drained my batteries from camping.

Had the tunes blasting (very private camping area too) and totally drained the batt's. Needed to have 2 Chevy's jump me. If you can get it started, don't turn it off. I replaced both batt's soon thereafter.

Our batteries are only good for 2-3 years, if you got 4 out of yours that's pretty good

B

Big K

Are your jumper cables suitable for the task? Most cables that are available today are barely up to the task for a small car.

If they are, and still no response, then starter/solenoid would be the first place I'd look. Possible broken wire in windings/open short somewhere

I plead ignorance about the Ford configuration.

Could be a bad battery, perhaps a dead cell.

Possible, (but not likely if jump start is ineffective), failed alternator, leading to severe battery discharge.

Possible battery cable damaged, or bad connection @ starter/solenoid/relay. (Ford ignorance again)

Electrical difficulties can be a pain in the ass.

Good luck.

EDIT - you guys type faster than I do. :D

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
I'm clustered ..I unhooked the batterys and checked them ihduvidually..12.5-12.7 volts//checked another on the lot same thing??? its acting like a dead battery but I don't know??????????

B

Big K

Most times batteries give an indication of impending failure. Have you noticed any symptoms?

Your test results don't really tell you too much, as you need to test under load.

If you can't jump start it, using good, heavy duty cables, then it begins to look less like a battery problem. Excepting some internal physical component failure in the battery itself.

I do, however, reserve the right to be mistaken.;)

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
O.K. this is the strangest SOB....Unhooked both batterys came back in the office posted...went back out hooked up...turned key all lights came on right???? started truck with no assistence(jumper cables)???

B

Big K

If there was a poor connection at a post, the truck should have started when the cables were hooked up.

How long had the truck been sitting before it would not start the first time? Heat issue with starter or solenoid?

Still possibility of bad battery cable or connection. Or other finicky electrical component.

I would remain aware that the possibility of being stranded exists until you sort this out.

Tuff to fix it if'n it won't stay broke :confused:

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
Battery's can give false readings because it will appear that they are flowing correctly but may not hold the charge.

If they are over 3 years old, I would replace them and get on with it

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wideopen
Batterys are not even a year old yet??? If I get it home ...I'm gonna park it untill I can get a scanner on it??

whoa nelly, now I'd be concerned......

were your connections tight on both batteries? it might be a starter issue if both batteries are new and in good shape (not faulty).

Big K nailed it, be prepared to potentially get stranded until you can fix that ******.

I just fixed a 2 year old electrical issue that I was having with one of my Harley's, electrical issues suck big time!

Last edited:

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
I don't think it was a starter..it acted like maybe an electrical?? No power hardly anywhere.... lights wouldn't even come on..I'm thinking maybe computer acting up needed to be re-set??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online