wiring pyrometer

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
Mine's a turbo so I'm not a lot of help, but I put mine in the cross over about an inch away from where it connects to the drivers side manifold. Ideally you'd put it right in the manafold, but the cross over saved a lot of work and I was sent a probe made to be installed in a pipe rather than threaded into a manaifold....anyway the idea is to get it as close to the rear exhaust port as you can. Mine's about 5" away or so I'd guess which is close enough to make me happy.

For actual electrical power I tapped into the positve wire comming out of the dash light dimmer switch so my gauges would dim/brighten along with the rest of the instruments:)

BTW I used ISSPRO gauges and am very happy with them:thumb

fgtex

Reaction score
I looked at several instructions on the internet about getting power to the gauges. I could not find the wires that anyone mentioned. I went to Auto Zone and bought an 'add a fuse' device, and powered my gauges off of it. I believe that the pyro is supposed to have its own source. I just spliced it in seperate, with the inline fuse that came with the wiring harness.

fgtex

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pyro power

I tapped off a keyed fuse.
Check for a fuse that only has power when the key is on.
Get a fuse tap and a female spade terminal from the parts store.
What I do is pull the fuse that you are going to use, check which side has power with the fuse out.
Use the non powered side, put the tap on that side of the fuse reinstall the fuse hook up the spade termianal and hook up your wire.
That way you are using the fuse as a keyed fused powwer source. :thumbsup:
Good luck
John

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I just bought a fuse tap from napa and used the radio fuse cause I knew it went off with the key and used the instrument panel lights fuse for the lights very simple and easy

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A regular 2 wire pyrometer does not need an external power source. It is essentially a volt meter, with the probe being the power source. If you have some kind of fancy pyrometer like a digital one or something, then that's a different story.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
My 2-wire ISSPRO doesn't need a power source to actually work and read EGT's but it is backlight and of course that light needs a power source which is why I tapped into the dash lights so its backlighting would change with the dash backlights:)

dbarilow

over worked
Reaction score
I have an Electric Autometer pyro I just taped into a keyed fuse havent fixed the Back light yet it is always on when the key is on

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online