wiring headache

idibeast1986

Reaction score
I'm trying to put a push button ignition and push button glow plug. I know the red and yellow wire is start wires but have no clue what the other wire colors go to on the ignition box on the steering column. If anyone knowsthe color code for these wire I'd really appreciated. 86 f350 6.9 idi. Thanks.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ill try to look it up tomorrow in the manual, i just did that part in the harness install, and tested it. everything functions correctly now so thats a good thing.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just spent about an hour trying to dig up my $#&! Haynes manual. It's just about useless.....unless I need a wiring diagram for something.
FWIW, I did this conversion myself. I used a 3 way momentary switch, so you hold it in the up position to light the glow plugs, then push it into the down position to hit the starter. Works pretty slick.
The wire that engages the starter solenoid on my truck (84) is red with a light blue stripe. I believe it goes from the ignition switch, through the clutch safety switch (or through the neutral safety switch if auto trans), and to the starter solenoid. Wire is the same color where it plugs on to the starter solenoid - easiest way to verify you have the correct wire.
Can't help you with the wire color to the glow plug solenoid; mine is a converted gasser so I did that wiring from scratch.