Wire on hard fuel line from lift pump to filter

dday

Reaction score
I have an 86 f250 with a cabover camper that my wife, kids and I use as a house at the beach on weekends.

I am just trying to get us rollin' again instead of cranking the stupid engine like a clown every time it sits for a little while due to air intrusion.

I am following the article "replace your mechanical fuel pump with a Facet Duralift electric fuel pump" because I am having hard start issues and already tried replacing the return lines...classic air intrusion...

Anyway, I just made the mounting bracket yesterday and I am planning the rest.

I noticed a wire attached to the hard fuel and do not want to go clipping wires when I don't know what they are.

This hard line is exactly where I imagine my soft rubber line will go from the tank to the new facet duralift pump.

I wont even mention my other problem now...one at a time:)

Thanks for time,

Donald

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
As already posted. This wire was the power for the fuel heater. Not many if any at all work today. You can do with it as you want. Even the 7.3 heaters did not work well. They were found in the TOP of the fuel filter head. Anyone knows heat raises. It does not grow downwards very well. Finally in about 1999 Ford engineers moved the heaters for the fuel to the bottom of the filters where it could do some work. But even those had issues and many owners unplugged them or removed them all together.
You will do no harm cutting and sealing off the power feed to this 6.9 heater.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally in about 1999 Ford engineers moved the heaters for the fuel to the bottom of the filters where it could do some work. But even those had issues and many owners unplugged them or removed them all together.
Actually the OBS PSDs (94.5-up) had the heater in the bottom of the bowl. And yes, they would short out and blow the fuse that also powers the PCM, rendering the engine inop. But I digress; in any event, the fuel heaters on all these trucks were designed in at a time in history when station diesel fuel was not nearly as stable as it is today. Gelling is not impossible, but it isn't anywhere near the issue today as it was then. Plus today we have anti-gel additives like the white-bottle Power Service, etc. There are folks way into Canada who have disconnected their fuel heaters, and with good winter fuel and a splash of anti-gel for good measure, have no problems.

One less thing to worry about; just tape over the connector so it doesn't touch a ground and short.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online