Wire harness, headlight conversion.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I have this on my headlights for a while now, and even though they are really bright it might have make them brighter. Now help me out here, with this conversion I dont have any more problems with the headlight switch right? btw that is wy I got it on the first place.

Thank you.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the whiter, brighter headlight mod?? If so then I must say I had a ton of problems with my switch before the mod...now that I've done the mod (about 1 year ago) I've had no problems with the switch. I'm definately thinking I may still do the running light mod just to be on the safe side and know that I will never have to worry about that dumb switch again! ;Sweet

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Ok, so the harness does not fix the switch hazzard. It said's supposed to take the load from the switch but I allways wondered if it really does fix the possible problems with the switch, no I know.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
Ok, so the harness does not fix the switch hazzard. It said's supposed to take the load from the switch but I allways wondered if it really does fix the possible problems with the switch, no I know.

Are we talking about the same thing? The headlight mod--"Whiter Whites, Brighter Brights", is supposed to take the load off the switch. I don't remember seeing anything about a wiring harness in that mod, though...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EZ, putting relays on the headlights, and running lights, will take care of all possible problems related to the headlight switch.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Thank you Mel :hail that's what I needed :D .

Mike, I did not wanted to start asking questions in your post since I did not even know if I was right, so this may also help your problem with the switch?

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
Are we talking about the same thing? The headlight mod--"Whiter Whites, Brighter Brights", is supposed to take the load off the switch. I don't remember seeing anything about a wiring harness in that mod, though...
Mike,
i believe that LMC, & i know that Summit both sell a harness that replaces the OE headlight harness under the hood - relays are built into said harness :Sly , so i guess the mod is much easier - give me a minute to find that thread...
the running light mod will still be neccessary, but it's something i'm looking in to, myself. you should, of course, still R&R your switch.

Mel - i think the running light mod is in our Tech section, but not the HL article... who wrote the original? has anyone taken pics of their Summit harness mod? hint, hint...

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
ok - i found the link in the FAQ's
i had a LMC p/n listed in a thread i created - click my name & check 'all threads started by' or whatever that says...
let me know if you find better info - i'll be right behind you. not having problems, but i don't want to have them later, either.

as i told Ron earlier, i plan on upgrading to all LED running lights soon, so i hope that'll cut down on amp draw tremendously ;Sweet

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as i told Ron earlier, i plan on upgrading to all LED running lights soon, so i hope that'll cut down on amp draw tremendously ;Sweet

Soul

I'd be a bit careful about that if you plan on also replacing the taillights with leds, I've heard that they will not shut off your cruise control when replaced with leds when you hit the brakes...

Just a thought...

Zigg :)

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
zigg said:
Soul

I'd be a bit careful about that if you plan on also replacing the taillights with leds, I've heard that they will not shut off your cruise control when replaced with leds when you hit the brakes...

Just a thought...

Zigg :)
Thanks, Zigg.
unfortunately, she was a simple vinyl floored 'Custom' trim package, so i don't have cruise. We even talked about that, but that darn Nextel connection is a nightmare ;Really & i'm not sure that either of us are positive about the rumoured bad effects of switching to all LED's.

if you can elaborate, that'd be nice...
i remember reading that if you left a few regular bulbs (i was thinking the license plate lights) that you'd be OK, Ron seems to think that the ABS system is also/instead a problem, & the tail/brake lights would give me troubles.??? wasn't it only on the granny tranny's?
i know somebody over at TDS has tried these things...

i'm willing to be a guinea pig - at least starting with the front markers & cab markers (already have my new side markers in.

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
Put LED tail lights in my 91 and now the anti lock brake light comes on after about 5 minutes of driving. I had forgotten about how the (3157?) bulb is required to make the anti lock work. No one ever explained to my satisfaction why that is. There is less than a volt of current on the brake light wire at all times. It is not enough to lite the incandecent bulb but it will light 3 of the LED lights in each lite. LEDs are nice and bright though. Brighter then the factory back up lights. :Sly
The loom you folks are talking about from Summit (maybe), is that the pig tail connnector for the headlight switch or is this something else?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Here is a linky, or you meant already installed?

Either way it is awfully easy to install it, it comes with fuses on the hot wires too. All done nice and clean ready to install. Too bad it shows N/A for now I guess.

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
Check Summit on line--the old harness part number that is no longer in stock is crossed to a new replacement. Worked pretty well last weekend. Wired it in behind a fuse block. Fits well on the passenger side wheel well.

Lights are brighter, and will be good to take the load off the switch--don't need to melt another one along with the plug!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online