winch hook up

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many have winches on there idi's??? Do you have the power leads hooked directly to the battery??? Or some kind of relay isolator inbetween?? whats your setup???

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since no one jumped in.... my Warn 10k is not on my truck, but on the trailer instead. It is connected straight to the battery. I have heard stories of a solenoid sticking, but have never had a problem in 6 years. Just make sure you protect the hot lead against abrasion.

One nice mod is to use an electric fork lift plug near the winch. Then you can unplug the winch and connect jumper cables up, assuming they have the same plug.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many have winches on there idi's??? Do you have the power leads hooked directly to the battery??? Or some kind of relay isolator inbetween?? whats your setup???
warn 10k unit. wired directly to the batery.
the comment about sticking solenoids got my attention.
time to think about a kill switch.
truck belongs to BrianS.

Attachments

• 05-02-08_0832.jpg
    05-02-08_0832.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 17

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One nice mod is to use an electric fork lift plug near the winch. Then you can unplug the winch and connect jumper cables up, assuming they have the same plug.

Now thats an awesome idea...

redstang410

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My front 16.5 winch. Hooked up direct to the battery.
You must be registered for see images attach

The rear winch is a hydraulic mile marker 10500 winch.
Runs off the power steering pump.

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice set up. I just hope I don't get my F250 stuck. I hear that we are prone to sinking the front 'cause the 7.3 IDI (in my case) is very heavy. Is that true?

Marq
Boise, Idaho

redstang410

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They will sink down to the bumper.
You'd better have a big winch, A pulley to double line, and a big anchor or several jeeps to tie to.
Here are some pics.

Double line

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
mines on a trailer too...heres what i did if you can picture it.

4 wire romex from battery to 80 amp relay, down inside the frame to the rear bumper connected to a 120V extension cord outlet. the power wire from the winch is about 2' long and has a 120V plug on it. when i want to use the winch i take out a 10guage 6' extension cord, plug in both ends and turn the relay on.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea If I get mine stuck like REDSTANG, I will be in some serious hurt... that IDI is heavy... I just got back from camping for the week, still need to go test my winch out...

1991 F350 Crew

Reaction score
I have a 8K pound Mile marker on my car trailer for about a month now. I came across a winch wiring kit that has 2 ga. locomotive cable that runs from the batteries to a plug at the rear bumper. Same plug as remote jumper cables on a wrecker. But the kit wouldn't be long enough to make it to the rear of my crew cab. Here are my questions, where can I find that 2 ga. flexible cable? And the other question is could I put a chassis ground from the battery (same size as the 2 ga. positive to the rear) and then put another ground from the rear of the frame to my connector? For now I just keep a charged battery in the bed but it gets in the way.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to a welding shop, they usually have large gauge wire in stock.. or NAPA can order it for you... also My local auto parts store has some in stock...

redstang410

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get a kit like this to run power to the rear winch.
http://www.warn.com/truck/mounting-systems/quick_connect_kit.shtml

The solenoid disconnects power when not in use.
I don't like the idea of a heavy guage live wire running the length of the truck.
It could cause a fire if it ever shorted out.
You could also use a high amp Kill switch like this
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...&N=700+4294839062+4294859645+115&autoview=sku

The reason i went with hydraulic is that there is no fire risk. And disconnect switches and solenoids tend to burn up and stop working after heavy use especially behind a one ton truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin