Will an auto column swap into a manual?

10fords

Reaction score
Howdy all- been awhile since I've been on the forum as my collection of IDI's has been running flawlessly! Now my 87 350 4 speed 4x4 crew is shutting itself off and it seems to be related to the well worn steering column. I have an identical 87 parts truck that is an auto that I would like to use the column from. Will this be a bolt in, or do I need one from a manual? Thanks for any advise- Scott

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i belive it will bolt in, But youll have the shifter hole just hangin out doing nothing.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
direct bolt in....is your current truck with issues a tilt? If not could be something else since no wires are in column except signal, hazard, horn, and cruise if you have it. All ignition related wiring is down near base of column on a large connector to which a Rod goes to from the ign switch in the column....FYI

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
A little more information might help. What is happening, and when is it happening? Might be easier to replace the cylinder or switch if it can be fixed that way.

10fords

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies so far. Some more info; both trucks are tilt with cruise. What is happening is the truck will shut off while driving, and turning the key a little forward will let it run again. When the key is on, but the truck isn't running, just bumping or turning the steering wheel can shut it off as well. The column is pretty loose, and is out of square with the dash toward the driver side quite a bit. When I got the truck it had a lift on it that I took off, and it was apparent that the steering wheel had been used to pull the driver in. I adjusted the ignition switch, and replaced the key switch already. My parts truck with the auto is low mileage ( I bought it back from the insurance after it was "totaled" 11 years ago) and the column is tight and smooth. So, if it will bolt in I think I would rather just swap column than try to polish a ****! The only other thing I'm not sure how to address is the mechanism on the manual that you push in to be able to remove the key- will those parts transfer to the auto column? Or will I be OK without it other than not being able to have the steering wheel lock, which I'm not concerned about anyway? PS- I should add that the horn and the cruise in the manual truck has never worked in the 8 years I've owned it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the rod to which I was referring to is out of adjustment. If this is the case you can slide that switch to which the rod goes into at the base of the column up or down accordingly to find the sweet spot to get it to work correctly. Try just a small amount....AND MARK THE START POINT BEFORE YOU DO ANY ADJUSTMENTS.

10fords

Reaction score
Sounds like the rod to which I was referring to is out of adjustment. If this is the case you can slide that switch to which the rod goes into at the base of the column up or down accordingly to find the sweet spot to get it to work correctly. Try just a small amount....AND MARK THE START POINT BEFORE YOU DO ANY ADJUSTMENTS.

riotwarrior- I've tried numerous adjustments to the ignition switch with no luck in finding a sweet spot, although I never marked the start point as I have done all my adjustments without dropping the column. Is it really that precision of a setting? I have done the same thing numerous times in my other trucks and never failed to cure the problem, but it was usually having to turn the key really hard to engage the starter. I have also replaced a few of those POS pot metal linkages for the same reason, but have never had the key shut off on me because of this. The more I think about it, maybe I should try replacing the ignition switch to get me by temporarily (unless it works!!) Ultimately I would like to swap columns though, so I just want to make sure it is doable before I disable my work truck. -Scott Edit- I should also add that I have no aux. power when the key is in that position.

Last edited:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
riotwarrior- I've tried numerous adjustments to the ignition switch with no luck in finding a sweet spot, although I never marked the start point as I have done all my adjustments without dropping the column. Is it really that precision of a setting? I have done the same thing numerous times in my other trucks and never failed to cure the problem, but it was usually having to turn the key really hard to engage the starter. I have also replaced a few of those POS pot metal linkages for the same reason, but have never had the key shut off on me because of this. The more I think about it, maybe I should try replacing the ignition switch to get me by temporarily (unless it works!!) Ultimately I would like to swap columns though, so I just want to make sure it is doable before I disable my work truck. -Scott Edit- I should also add that I have no aux. power when the key is in that position.

It will bolt in, I've done it myself more than once...Sounds like a brand new ignition swith would be a good investment for your "work" truck.;Sweet

10fords

Reaction score
Update- I finally got tired of the truck shutting off so I pulled out the ignition switch and it came out in 2 pieces! Amazing it worked at all. Installed the one from my parts truck for a "temporary" fix and all is well now. I even have an auxilary position now and my radio display is lit back up! Thanks for all the help- Scott

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update- I finally got tired of the truck shutting off so I pulled out the ignition switch and it came out in 2 pieces! Amazing it worked at all. Installed the one from my parts truck for a "temporary" fix and all is well now. I even have an auxilary position now and my radio display is lit back up! Thanks for all the help- Scott

Thanks for that update...glad it worked out for you.;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin