why would i lose prime?!!

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
ok as i mentioned lately it's been "pulsing" on idle. if i park on an incline (nose up so far) for a bit it'll lose it's prime and not start, then i have to bleed the fuel filter and get foam for a bit till she fires! -cuss-cuss so it must get some air when parked and run choppy, you could hear it breaking up if you stand by the stacks. also i noticed crusing at a steady speed the idle jumps up and down about 100 rpm randomly....:confused: the trans light blinks sometimes so that may be a tranny issue too.... :dunno it has a BRAND NEW fuel tank, fuel lines, lift pump, fuel filter, injuctor return lines, and the rear selector is completely eliminated. i don't see any visable fuel leaks, once in while i get a whiff of diesel but i assume that's the nature of the beast. any ideas?

thanks!
-Jon :puke:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a check valve at the fuel return line at the filter head. I would pull that out and clean it to see if any crud is getting in the way and preventing a good seal. I think yours will also have a check valve at the return line of the injector pump thats worth inspecting/cleaning.

Be careful not to break or strip any of the brass fittings.

Would also be a good idea to start the engine and run it for a few minutes before doing any of this because it will be harder on the first start after its all back together.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i had a crack in a line, but it still does it, i think i need to eliminate the one compression fitting, can i put a rubber hose and clamp of the nylon fuel line??

-Jon

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
This is eactly why many of us install an electric lift pump. The lift pump is located under the truck, near the selector valve, and pushes the fuel from that point. Fuel leaks are much easier to spot than vacuum leaks. ( Ever tried to see a vacuum?). Also, fuel will not leak out thru very tiny places as air might.

Install an electrical lift pump and your problems will go away.

jeffgordon24

91 f250 kingcab 4*4
Reaction score
have you found your problem ,mine is the same since i changed the motor.i put my old filter head old injectors and ip pump .hard to start on incline then runs rough , and then ok till i turn it off no problems on the road . im thinking lift pump i might swap m old one off my other motor . cant see any fuel leaks the injectors were brand new 50 miles on them

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
once in while i get a whiff of diesel but i assume that's the nature of the beast.

Absolutely not! You should never smell diesel unless you're refueling or changing a fuel filter. If your smelling it, you've got a leak.

On Edit: I guess you figured that out.

Last edited:

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
why would i lose prime?!!

It can happen to any middle age man, performance isn't what it used to be, there are a number of pills you can take for it, but the best is just a good diet and exercise.

Hope this helps,..;Really

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps he needs natural Moose enhancment? :sly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online