why two wheel drive trucks are usless...

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
we got about 22" of snow here and the army depot i work on closed, while i was attempting to sleep in my friend called and woke me up, hey want to make some money? HELL YEAH! he offered $65 and hour for me to help him plow his accounts. so i hop in the trusty 250 and head out. about an hour into plowing the first lot the spindle bearing, i knew was bad but neglected to care about, decided it'd twist the stub shaft just right to blow out my hub! -cuss-cuss my friend had to shove me back to my garage because i was helpless in 2wd :rolleyes:. so we get back and i go with him for a bit then he blows a hydraulic hose. so we go to his house and i borrow his snowmobile to go to my garage. didn't make it 1/4 mile from his house and i bury the sled, managed to smoke the belt....:mad: got it pulled out then made it to my garage with the awful thumping of a flatspot on the belt. since the 250 with the plow is wayyy to big to get in my garage i have to fix it in the driveway, i drape a blanket in the hood and over my and tear into it. had a spare hub but it also ate the spindle,and the stub shaft. i had a dodge dana 60 in te garage, thought i'd steal parts off that....:rotflmao f-cking ford has to use different parts...-cuss. i stole the used spindle bearing to get me by cookoo. i had to run and grab a spindle nut socket so i took the sled to my friends, on the way back the belt on the sled evaporated. good thing there was a spare. got back and reassembled the 250. it'll work for the week. i ordered a stubshaft, u-joints, spindle bearings and a spindle on ebay to the tune of $300, oh and a $90 belt for the sled. yea it was over a $400 day, wish i had work..... cookoo ...oh and taking the sled back i buried it again but gave up before i hurt it, my friend came and got it.

here's pics of me attempting to het up the driveway at 8AM. i'm in 4th gear 2wd held to the floor, my friend said it looked like a freight train pulling out, the smoke was billowing about 20 feet off the side of the truck the EGT's were cresting 1050 degrees. god do i HATE 2wd trucks. LOL

-Jon

Attachments

• 0226100816_0001.jpg
    0226100816_0001.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 0226100816a_0001.jpg
    0226100816a_0001.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 50
  • 0226100816b_0001.jpg
    0226100816b_0001.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 90

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I feel your pain. My C-70 Chevy has a 9' plow and really is only good for road work or parking lots. Even with 8,000lbs in the Chevy, The Logger will walk circles around it and more often than not has to pull the dump truck around my yard. I think this is a record year for snow in NJ. I got up at about 8am on wednesday, slept for 3hrs wed nite and back up at 6am thurs. Replaced radiator in dump truck and was on plow duty from 1:30pm Thurs till 2:30pm Friday. Man, I needed last nights sleep!!!! Snow is a blast, I usually make money, but it sure does drain your energy. Good times none the less.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I agree, I hate geting stuck in my driveway.

Attachments

• get-attachment.jpg
    get-attachment.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 33
  • get-attachment1.jpg
    get-attachment1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 31

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Geesh, we had 14" in less than 6hrs one day last week, I can't count how many times I got stuck trying to push that **** and by the time the day was over I needed 2 doors and a fender....LOL.....No broken parts though, D60 with a NP205 t-case - built for plowing.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate all of you guys up there making money. I almost took time off to fly back to Ohio and run plow for a few months. I used to make at least 10 grand each winter plowing for a friend. I was paid well so he always had a mechanic that could fix anything on site

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
This was last week, you can see the telephone poll damage to the pass side door. :rolleyes:Been a lean winter plowing here, not too many storms....Last year was much better.

You must be registered for see images attach

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's kind of odd it's been so lean up there in Nova Scotia, I know the mid Atlantic and Northeast US have had a really rough winter with so much snow. We've even had some here in the Southeast and parts of Florida, even have had a dusting once or twice.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
We have had a couple of decent storms but other than that it's been a bust compared to last winter. I was hoping for a good winter as I have twice as many customers over last year.....Murphy strikes again.:rolleyes:

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2WDs are fine until you get stuck... then you are asking yourself "why did I buy this worthless POS?"
Been there, done that.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
WTH? I've NEVER been stuck with My 4X2.

Gotta have the right setup. GOOD tires and a little weight. I've got a friend that is a Son of a stubborn old German Farmer. He swears that You don't need 4X4. When He bought a new truck in the 80's He wouldn't spend the extra money on 4wd. He drove around on Milles Lacs Lake for years with that truck. Ole Bubba was pulling Guys with 4X4 out of snow drifts with His 4X2. He'd just put dedicated snow tires on it, and about 600 lbs in the box.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WTH? I've NEVER been stuck with My 4X2.

Gotta have the right setup. GOOD tires and a little weight. I've got a friend that is a Son of a stubborn old German Farmer. He swears that You don't need 4X4. When He bought a new truck in the 80's He wouldn't spend the extra money on 4wd. He drove around on Milles Lacs Lake for years with that truck. Ole Bubba was pulling Guys with 4X4 out of snow drifts with His 4X2. He'd just put dedicated snow tires on it, and about 600 lbs in the box.

That's an impressive place NOT to get stuck. Brutal winter and hills to boot!

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
It seems to me from what I've experienced, 2wd trucks get stuck pretty easy, but they are easy to get unstuck (for the most part)

The times i've got a 4wd stuck, it needed some serious "third party participation" to get it out... :sly

That being said, i've made it a point to never own another truck that wasn't 4wd, it sure is nice to have when you need it.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Give the guy merits for setting up a 2wd properly and using what he had wisely. However, any 2wd vehicle will grossly fall short when compared to its 4wd counterpart be it a truck or even a backhoe for that matter. My mother even attests to the confidence her '91 f150 4x4 brings her. I have also seen a Mercury Mauntaineer pull a stuck H2. That stubborn old farmer was smart, knew how to set up what he had, knew how to drive, and knew the limits of his ride. Rob, you seem to carry these same traits. Thank God for smart drivers. However,I can not write off the asset of having 4wd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online