why do you drive a idi?

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought this would be a good topic to ask. As today someone asked me why are you dumping money to fix up an old truck? I replied for one I like it two why would I drop 20 to 40 grand on another truck for my guys (we landscape) to work in? Just wanted to see what you guys have to say why you drive your idis in this Era of tuners and common rails?

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheap to fix, simple to work on and they can do all the same work as the newer trucks, just not as fast down the road. 40 grand can buy lots of fuel and IDI parts!

Many of us like the sound these engines have. Some of us, its our first diesel and we are hanging onto nostalgia (like me).

For some its a preference to the older body styles or interior layouts.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the older style. Both in look and function. And the simplicity. Easy to fix. Simple to operate. I have gears I change, a transfer case, manual hubs, and the whole truck is basically mechanically operated. Plus for many cost is a factor. I have way more in mine already than it is worth to sell, but I still couldn't get in a good powerstroke for what I've spent. And this will outlast the powerstroke doing the same work (albeit a little slower and louder).

I'm all for making vehicles ride and drive better over time. But I see too much extra and unnecessary garbage in new vehicles. Not scared of the electronics; I actually like OBDii, but not all the other complications. Will still own some in my life, but to me these old ones are easier to love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

barr05

Reaction score
Nostalgia for the body style, the love of the diesel motor, they are easy and cheap to work on and not all the electronic crap to go bad and stop it dead.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The price was right.I was actually looking for a gasser

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Another one of these threads... :doh:
Well they're cheap. It's kinda like buying a geo metro or ford pinto.
I paid 850 or so for the 88 I had.
But also only paid 1800 for my powerstroke.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another one of these threads... :doh:
Well they're cheap. It's kinda like buying a geo metro or ford pinto.
I paid 850 or so for the 88 I had.
But also only paid 1800 for my powerstroke.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

My IDI was free and my PSD was $2000. I couldn't argue with the price of either!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the reason i bought an IDI is because i live in a communist state.
my PSD's ive gotten into need to be smogged.
well, my IDI does not.
then the simplicity, and the fun of the IDI took over.
driving PSD's is alot of fun, but im the kinda guy that likes to wrench. and the IDI is alot more fun to wrench on, says my soul and my pocket book.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y'all are forgetting about alternative fuels... I picked up a second IDI to burn oil! A few gallons of diesel per month for startup/shutdown, the rest is recovered oil. After 10,000 miles the savings from not buying diesel pays for the truck.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
the reason i bought an IDI is because i live in a communist state.

Same here. Illegal to drive my gas truck and pretty much anything with a gas engine newer than the early 70s. Government already steals enough from me, I don't want surprise smog tax, surprise roadside detentions, or paying to wait in line for hours and deal with government employees to poke around my vehicle. I want to be left the hell alone and have as close to zero interaction with government as they will allow... So I drive an IDI.

Other factors:
Reliability: I will not drive anything with EFI or fancy electronics, tried that once and it was unreliable and expensive
Simplicity: In the rare case it may not run I can get it running with basic hand tools
Style: I don't drive "me too" vehicles that all look the same
Quality: I don't do cheap plastic cars
Price: they're all $10k trucks no matter how you slice it, new trucks start at 4x that and fail the other categories

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
We all have reasons why we drive older trucks. Some like the style and others the simplisity for repairs. My built 79 chevy C30 454 engine was getting 4 7/8 miles to the gallon towing our 30 ft 5th wheel. I needed a diesel so I shopped and found what I have now. That was 1994. I have now made my rig what I want and it gives me plenty of reason to keep. MPG is 18.9 doing 75 to 85 mph in double overdrive...:eek::D
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach