Who to use for oil analysis?

masterbeavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I sink too much money into my new(to me) truck, I want to get the oil analized to make sure I truley have a healthy mill. Who do you use, what is the average cost, and what specifically should I ask for to have checked??

Thanks in advance.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Blackstone Labs
They will send you a collection vial and mailing tube.
Cost is about $22

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blackstone runs a standard test on diesel engine oils that comprises of numerous compounds being tested for from fuel dilution, coolant presence, lead, tin, copper, silica etc etc....... Its been a day or so since I have read a Blackstone report but they are very thorough when they test.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes their standard report is very thorough. If you want to do extended oil drain intervals a TBN analysis is a good idea too, however I wouldn't suggest that unless you run a bypass filter at least maybe synthetic oil too. Otherwise it needs to be 3000-5000 miles or 2500-3500 would be even better. If you want a little cheaper, you're local CAT dealer does a decent job, just not quite as thorough and not the human touch with the explanation and everything. Its about $14 postage paid. If you go with Blackstone spend a couple extra dollars and box up the oil and send it UPS/FedEx/DHL if its put in the mail many times it won't reach Blackstone for 3-4 weeks or more...probably because someone thought it was "Dangerous Goods" even though the postmaster general says its not.....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Blackstone is who I use. They will tell you how much longer you can run the oil and just about anything else thats going on inside the motor. They are even able to tell you if your motor is within the average numbers. They rate very well with me. Just give them a try.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I use blackstone, I'd be happy to send you one of my reports if you send me an email. I was going to post it here, but it is a pdf file with my personal info etc on it. I use them for my 88 7.3, my wifes 06 Jetta TDI, and my diesel tractor.

Wayne