Who says veg oil isn't a viable fuel?

tgatch

Reaction score
A friend of mine took up an engineering project at Boise State University. He along several other students took a P-Pumped 5.9 and stuffed in a tube steel racing chassis and wrapped it in a relatively stock bodied 1998 Chevy S10. They did this with very little funding and have gotten the attention of the WORLD!!! They were even invited to attend the Washington DC autoshow!!!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present Team Greenspeed! The World's fastest vegetable oil powered vehicle.

155.331mph

http://vimeo.com/44320995

http://www.greenspeed.me/

https://www.facebook.com/greenspeedbsu

Keep it up Dave Schenker and Team Greenspeed!

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats awesome, I think the work they did to produce that vehicle will get a lot of attention.
I don't think you'll get much arguement here about wvo not being a good fuel. I think it requires a little more attention to the fuel system
and having the right equipment to run it long term.
But congrats to all in the project.

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
right now it doesn't make sense because we grow material specially for fuel when it could be used for food.That and it is heavily subsitidized.if however we can produce it from plant material that isn't a source of food for us such as algae,and can be done cheaply then it works great.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
right now it doesn't make sense because we grow material specially for fuel when it could be used for food.That and it is heavily subsitidized.if however we can produce it from plant material that isn't a source of food for us such as algae,and can be done cheaply then it works great.

I see your argument and raise you one more Corn is not really a good for you food, and when you press the oil out of corn or soy beans the left overs can be feed for you meats.. and we all know meat taste great.... a whole lot better than eating veggies, oh and stop making junk out of waste oil like cosmetics and dog food..;Really

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or farm canola and sesame like me and have ~1000 acres of biodiesel growing at anytime in a crop rotation. :D I really want to get an operation for crushing the oil seed myself instead of taking it to the coop.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Making biodiesel out of soybeans means expensive fuel.
Soybeans right now are $16 and some cents per bushel. If I'm not mistaken you don't get many gallons out of bushel of soybeans.
The rest of the bushel of soybeans is meal, which goes mainly for livestock protein.
There are some ethanol plants that are "making" centrifuging the corn oil out of the "mash", which I think is going for food grade stuff, but it (corn oil) could be used for biodiesel.
At least the $7.90 bushel of corn makes almost three gallons of ethanol, then maybe some corn oil for biodiesel, and some livestock protein.
Still a high cost for fuel.
Not trying to be a downer for bio fuels but they can be a little expensive.
I don't want to get into a argument about costs but the prices at the pump are hard to beat.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Canola and sesame can be up to 60% oil by wt. Soybeans are only 10-20% BIG difference in profit margin and both sesame and canola can yield better (BU or # /ac) than beans (atleast in our area).

If you own enough cattle to feed the by products too then you've increased your chances of making money yet again. Now if you dont have cattle but have pig or cattle feedlots near by then that is a good option for a place to sell the by product.

Canola and sesame both cost less($)/ac to grow and bring less at the coop.

Now not everyone can do this of course but i would rather encourage this type of entrepreneurship that our country was founded on.

Our farm has been growing canola for 12 yrs and sesame for 4 yrs. We are nearing the next step of buying our own seed crusher and bulk storage for the pure oil. After proving over longterm farming practices and studying the fuel usage on our farm we can be nearly self sustaining if we can efficiently produce our own fuel. We also have over 200 cow/calf pairs and run stocker calves on wheat pasture that can be fed the by product.

I am on this site to see what problems we can run into running veggie oil/bio diesel in our rigs. Ya'll seem like a knowledgable group of people (even though you base you veggie rigs on furds lol)

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unfortunately even I will admit it. the furd 6.9 and 7.3 will run on almost anything you can think of.Its a stout IDI with not alot of electronics.As far as running on different blends VW/merc diesels and ford IDI diesels are top of the chain followed by 94-98 12V cummins.Chevs aren't much good because they run optical sensors in the fuel. the old IDI's just seem much for tolerant of fuel blends.On a power standpoint my 12V would decimate a 7.3,but the 7.3 has it beat on running the crappiest crap you can find.It wouldn't surprise me one bit if someone found a way to run there IDI ford on liquid tar.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Ya'll seem like a knowledgable group of people (even though you base you veggie rigs on furds lol)[/QUOTE]

SAY now!!!!!! you might get run out on a rail!!!! :rotflmao:rotflmao

sassyrel

Reaction score
.It wouldn't surprise me one bit if someone found a way to run there IDI ford on liquid tar.[/QUOTE]

just give us enough time........................................:rotflmao after all, ships run on "bunker" oil...damn thick stuff.....

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unfortunately even I will admit it. the furd 6.9 and 7.3 will run on almost anything you can think of.Its a stout IDI with not alot of electronics.As far as running on different blends VW/merc diesels and ford IDI diesels are top of the chain followed by 94-98 12V cummins.Chevs aren't much good because they run optical sensors in the fuel. the old IDI's just seem much for tolerant of fuel blends.On a power standpoint my 12V would decimate a 7.3,but the 7.3 has it beat on running the crappiest crap you can find.It wouldn't surprise me one bit if someone found a way to run there IDI ford on liquid tar.

No aguements there, the only problem i have with IDI fords is the wrapper, BUT for the durability on straight alternative fuel truck that can be over looked. MFI 6.5 and 6.2's seem to do very well on alternative fuels (oil) and a EFI 6.5 (has optic nerve pos) can be run on b99 all day (ive ran a 50/50 mix of clean gasser WMO/diesel in my efi and saw no problems) theres even a couple dmaxs running a mix and not having many issues.

I would also drive a 12 valve but they are just too dang noisy, my tractor runs a cummins and after i listen to that thing all day I dont want to jump in my truck and keep hearing that ruckus

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
No aguements there, the only problem i have with IDI fords is the wrapper, BUT for the durability on straight alternative fuel truck that can be over looked. MFI 6.5 and 6.2's seem to do very well on alternative fuels (oil) and a EFI 6.5 (has optic nerve pos) can be run on b99 all day (ive ran a 50/50 mix of clean gasser WMO/diesel in my efi and saw no problems) theres even a couple dmaxs running a mix and not having many issues.

I would also drive a 12 valve but they are just too dang noisy, my tractor runs a cummins and after i listen to that thing all day I dont want to jump in my truck and keep hearing that ruckus

I hear ya, I've got almost 5 years on my Power stroke running a WVO/#2 blend; 2 fuel pumps and lots of fuel filters with 280k on the clock, just need a larger farm to have cows and thinks growing....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online