White Horse Problem-Fuel system

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
OK,I was Supposed to post this last night but got busy and forgot.

Tim(AKA White Horse....AKA Cancer Survivor award Winner) has a interesting problem with his rig again.This time when he is driving along on level ground everything is peachy.Well,there is a small mountian he has to cross(I would guess 20-30% grade for a thousand or two linear feet.) and every time his truck starts to cut out and spit and sputter just about going dead.But here is the kicker.Only on one tank.If he flips to the other tank it runs fine.....also it doesn't matter if the tank is full,Empty,half full,Quarter......This one is just strange.

Freight_Train

Reaction score
I was thinking that but it it only does it going up big hills....and on that one tank so it has to be somewhere between the selector valve and the front tank.....I think the truck is just pissed cause he removed the 10 tons of dirt from the interior and the perdy Buick Riviera(SP?) floor mats(Colors actually matched after we cleaned everything that night!But they didn't go back in.....obviously!)

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
which tank does this do it on front or rear and does it do it right away like as soon as he hits the hill or does he have to be on it for awhile

Freight_Train

Reaction score
From my understanding it does it pretty quick.It only takes about 45seconds to a minute to climb this one hill he used as an example.Well,last time I was up it in an IDI.Also it is the front tank I think he said and it doesn't matter how much fuel is in it.Full or Quarter or Empty.I could understand if it was half a tank or lower but even on a full tank has me stumped....and on level roads under hard charging action it is fine so I don't think a line is stopped.

Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the only thing I can think of. If the sending unit on the front tank faces toward, it is possible that there is a lot of gunk on the sending unit filter element and at an incline of 20-30% the element falls back against the pickup tube, thus reducing flow. Just my 2 cents.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I was just wondering if he's getting a hole in the fuel line that is so small its not noticable till the exytra strain of pulling the fuel up hill

stiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm with the guys that say it's something in the tank. any chance he recently started running bio-diesel, that would broken gunk loose from the tank.

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys... its the front tank and half way up its sucks air and quits. The funny thing is the rear tank don't do it. The other day I went over the hill and it lost power but I got over and on the down side she gave up the fight! Tim

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my suggestion is to drop the tank and get rid of the feul pickup foot. replace with rubber feul line.
take a look at the pic and you'll understand why these items are problematic.

Attachments

• 05-09-06_2144.jpg
    05-09-06_2144.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 05-09-06_2145.jpg
    05-09-06_2145.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 05-09-06_2146.jpg
    05-09-06_2146.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 14

Forum statistics

Threads