While I was under my truck today...

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I decided to attempt an adjustment of the parking brake. Before I bought the truck in April, it had sat for around 5 years and the parking brake was not working.

After cleaning the threads on the adjuster, I took an inch, or two of the slack out of the cable. When I went to test it, they didn't want to apply very easily. After trying it a few times, I managed to get them to work. That was, until I tried releasing them. It turned out, that the right side somehow adjusted itself out, to where the brakes were applied even after I had released them.

It took me about 45 minutes to get the drum off, while making sure the shoes stayed in place. After adjusting them again, everything went back together very easily and worked flawlessly.

I have no idea why it happened.. Any ideas?

Gary

masterbeavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was there an even amount of slack on both cables when you adjusted the adjuster? I am not a brake expert, but I would venture a guess that the one sides self adjusting adjuster is not working properly? One side adjusted as the drums worn, the other just stayed and did nothing. That is my guess.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I made sure there was an even amount of slack on both cables, when I made the adjustment. The side that locked up, was the same side that I had changed the wheel cylinder in several weeks ago. Everything was removed and re-installed (Properly), but I don't know why that would have any effect on it.

Gary

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made sure there was an even amount of slack on both cables, when I made the adjustment. The side that locked up, was the same side that I had changed the wheel cylinder in several weeks ago. Everything was removed and re-installed (Properly), but I don't know why that would have any effect on it.

Gary

Any chance you put the adjuster in backwards?

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
It's been a long time, since I've done any rear-drum brake work, so I made sure I used the pic, to be sure everything was installed correctly. Here's how mine now looks:

Attachments

• RearBrakes.gif
    RearBrakes.gif
    82.9 KB · Views: 15

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it seems I do TOO much rear brake work...

your cable probably pulled and stuck...and the cam arm that acuates the e-brake stuck...

after 5 years...I'd put new cables on the back...

I did exactly the same thing you did on my old crewcab...but BOTH sides stuck on....that was fun gettin them off....:rotflmao

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's one thing for sure about rear parking brake cables. If you don't use them, you lose them. They rust up pretty fast when not maintained. Sounds like the one side stuck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online