Where do you guys get shop consumables from?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't already have an existing customer account with Grainger I would avoid using them at all cost. We have very high prices on product and don't really do much along the lines of "competitive pricing" if you don't spend a decent amount of money with company on regular basis. I say "we" because that is my current employer.. :backoff

Furthermore, being that I am an employee I get a 50% discount on anything below $1000 and 30% off anything over that amount. (Plus free shipping)
If you guys are ever in need of anything that we carry, reach out to me and id be more than willing to help anyway I can. But I didn't say all that ;Poke ;Really

i honestly prefer MSC,
but they can only get you stuff next day at best.
i use grainger for items like end mills, abrasive wheels when im in a bind, they have a hub 20 minutes away, and i can usually get what i want.
they even had the correct heaters for my 3 phase electrical breakers on my machines that are 40 years old!
i run a small machine shop, and Grainger has saved my hide more than thrice!
perhaps not the best prices, but i can get my product turned around NOW!

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i honestly prefer MSC,
but they can only get you stuff next day at best.
i use grainger for items like end mills, abrasive wheels when im in a bind, they have a hub 20 minutes away, and i can usually get what i want.
they even had the correct heaters for my 3 phase electrical breakers on my machines that are 40 years old!
i run a small machine shop, and Grainger has saved my hide more than thrice!
perhaps not the best prices, but i can get my product turned around NOW!

Definitely one of the things the company takes pride in. Having those random odds and ends for those in dire need a good majority of the time. We may charge a bit more upfront but the "convenience factor" for not having to source and wait on a part to be shipped and delivered in to your closest branch is a huge plus worth the extra pennies! Most people need their parts yesterday and don't have the patience nor the extra time for their equipment to be out of operation. As the great Benjamin Franklin once said, and I quote "Time is Money". Abrasives are one of our biggest money makers!

Oh and did I mention that I'm NOT a "salesman" :rotflmao :smoke:

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
We get are welding supplies from the local welding supply shop best prices I'v found
Grinding Discs etc harbor freight Napa had good prices too.
do you have a Tractor Supply near you? We get a lot of or stuff there

Welding Gas
Rods
Grinder Discs
Tools
Oil
Etc really the best place to buy at least where I am.

Last edited:

1994 Turbo

Reaction score
A few months ago dad bought a bunch of roloc discs from a guy that was at the local NTPA pull in the vendor area. He probably bought 300. I use those A LOT, he bought them in june and we probably had them gone by the end of August. I at least don't have to buy 4" grinding wheels anymore, my Girlfriend found diamond grinding/cutting wheels and bought me one for christmas last year. I have since bought 5 more for our cordless grinder and the others in the shop. A year later and mine is still like brand new. I just need a better alternative for welding supplies and roloc discs. I'll look into amazon, thanks guys!

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We dont use that much. Our rags and such are from prudential.grinding stuff, cut off wheels etc we get from harbor freight

DirtRoads

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the tools and supplies section over at pirate 4x4 forum. The off road crowd is brutal on the quality vs value judgement. That is if you are looking for online vendors

We have to be. With a hobby thats such a big moneypit, value is everything.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We get are welding supplies from the local welding supply shop best prices I'v found
Grinding Discs etc harbor freight Napa had good prices too.
do you have a Tractor Supply near you? We get a lot of or stuff there

Welding Gas
Rods
Grinder Discs
Tools
Oil
Etc really the best place to buy at least where I am.

Does tractor supply carry this kind of stuff? We are getting one soon!

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
tractor supply is overpriced, it's honestly cheaper to buy from Praxair, Airgas, or American Welding Supply

and honestly, sometimes if you're buying a large quantity, one of those 3 ends up being the cheapest anyway

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Autozone, Lowe's/Menards and occasionally China Freight. Last time I bought welding electrodes was from HF, but I also lived near one at that time.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Depending on the quantity you buy.
I've bought ten packs of grinding wheels for under $5 at tractor supply.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I've done that with them and HF, but they never seem to last long. I tend to sputtering for Dewalt discs. Things last for ever.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tractor supply is usually overpriced a bit but how many welding/gas places are open evenings, past noon on Saturday, or Sunday's? I ended up getting my welding gas from them. Cost me a little extra up front but without fail, I run out of gas when I can't get it anywhere else. Sometimes the convenience is worth the premium. Sometimes not. They do run pretty good sales if you pay attention.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ill pray for all of you who use horrible freight cut off wheels.
i only get the best stainless cutoff wheels.
inferior brands will blow apart and break without warning.
ive seen alot of damage done by these things.
to flesh and sometimes arteries
stay safe.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
definite danger when using cutoffs, even quality ones can get a nick in them and go ****
I personally haven't bought a cutoff wheel since I dropped the big dime, I have yet to have a plasma tip blow apart and go flying across the yard ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel