What's wrong w/my clutch?

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to drive a friends 1996 CC 5 speed power stroke yesterday. The clutch was firm at the top and 1/4 of the way down it would break over and was easy to hold. Mine is firm at the top and gets harder on the way down and is tough to hold at the bottom. Is something wrong w/my hydraulics?

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to drive a friends 1996 CC 5 speed power stroke yesterday. The clutch was firm at the top and 1/4 of the way down it would break over and was easy to hold. Mine is firm at the top and gets harder on the way down and is tough to hold at the bottom. Is something wrong w/my hydraulics?

Sounds typical of the dual mass flywheel set up. Mine was like the way you described but I just had it changed out to the single LUK gold clutch. The difference is night and day. Now the clutch is as easy to push as it would be in a compact car with a manual transmission.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Take a good look at your clutch pedal return spring setup and it's bushings for binding. The spring may be missing, broken or just plain stretched out, it's called an overcenter spring on a clutch pedal, it is designed to hold teh pedal up at the top of travel and to help keep it down at the bottom half of travel where the pressure plate spring is fighting you.

DragRag

Reaction score
Sounds typical of the dual mass flywheel set up. Mine was like the way you described but I just had it changed out to the single LUK gold clutch. The difference is night and day. Now the clutch is as easy to push as it would be in a compact car with a manual transmission.

Same with mine, autozone has a great price on them also.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Take a good look at your clutch pedal return spring setup and it's bushings for binding. The spring may be missing, broken or just plain stretched out, it's called an overcenter spring on a clutch pedal, it is designed to hold teh pedal up at the top of travel and to help keep it down at the bottom half of travel where the pressure plate spring is fighting you.

yup common place for wear is the top of the pedal, some have some cheap plastic bushings that go to crap up there to.