Full Access Member
Reaction score
.......an '86 F350 diesel designated truck and no tach? Instrument cluster
has 'diesel fuel only' but the sensor location only has a plug in it. Wiring
harness is w/tach plug.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to put a tach in mine. Lucilly I had the hole in the ip and somehow all the wiring. Once I found a tach all I did was stick the tach in the dash by removing the dummy plate and put in a tach sensor, it was plug and play from there.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think 87+ it became factory. 83-86 was an option though.
yup. he's right.
everything was "a la carte" until '86 from '87 started the slide into bells and whistles. Now you have to delete the bells and whistles if you want a special order vehicle.cookoo

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
You need the tach, sensor (make sure your IP housing has the removable plug in it) and the circuit sheet for the back of the cluster with the tach connections. Wrecking yards have them from time to time. I keep checking the ones here to help some of you poor souls out there!

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhhhh- That's right I used the other sheet too. along with about 13 light bulbs. I just took the whole cluster. At the time I couldn't figure out how to get that darn speedo cable off so I just cut it (on the donor) .

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh.....That's y this site shines! So many great answers!!

I looked at a pretty nice '86 today and was curious that something was amiss.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think 87+ it became factory. 83-86 was an option though.
Actually, I don't think it was even an option for '83 and '84 trucks. My engine originally didn't even have a casting for the tach sensor in the IP drive gear housing...I remedied that in '04 ;Sweet it's been a while since I've had the cluster out, but I don't think I have any of the wiring, either (certainly, nothing under the hood). FWIW, my truck was equipped with every option that was available in late '83/early '84 except the C6...she started out life as a toy-hauler :D

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MY 86 has it but i believe its fully loaded interior wise. power windows, power locks, XLT Lariat trim with the clock above the radio and the wood grain and all that good stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance