What would you do in this situation?

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, my friend came across a 6.9 powered RV for free, I guess a relative gave it to him to just get rid of it. The engine has a thrown rod, but it has the ATS (he thinks) turbo kit on it, and it ran fine before the rod gave.

My guess is the rod went due to the turbo, being that these engines werent designed for boost in the first place.

Regardless, my friend has no interest in the engine, and would be willing to sell it to me for dirt cheap ($200 price range).

Now, my question is, what would you, the experienced gentlemen/women do in this situation? The symptoms of a failing injector pump are becoming more prominent in my current truck, its really becoming a pain to start at all anymore, and is impossible to start if its warmed up.

A) take the IP off the donor and use it, see how much a stealership wants to time it

B) Option A + have them redo the headgaskets (just to be safe) and throw the turbo on my (showing strong signs of) worn engine

C) If block of donor is salvageable, slowly rebuild donor engine, lower compression to better survive boost, and throw in my truck. The current engine will most likely cease to function with the amount of time it will take to rebuild the donor. (Getting married, spendier than I thought, but worth it for me! :D)

D) See if the stealership, or another shop, would take both my engine and the donor engine as cores to knock down the cost of a reman engine.

BONUS) take route C, after donor is rebuilt, throw the turbo on the current engine (if it still runs) and see what more itll take before parting ways with the functional world :p

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
My guess is the rod went due to the turbo, being that these engines werent designed for boost in the first place.

Wrong,,..There a very high percentage of these IDI's have aftermarket turbos on them and VERY FEW blow a rod. Head gasket yea, but not a rod. Yes it does happen but mostly because of other reasons, Not being taken care of, low on oil etc.

Carry on,...

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrong,,..There a very high percentage of these IDI's have aftermarket turbos on them and VERY FEW blow a rod. Head gasket yea, but not a rod. Yes it does happen but mostly because of other reasons, Not being taken care of, low on oil etc.

Carry on,...

Yeah, I know alot of people boosted (pardon me if "boosted" is a term that is not proper etiquette for a diesel engine lol, a lot of my friends are Honda guys so the word is very common to me) these engines to really get HP, but if I'm right, they werent originally DESIGNED for boost, which is what made me think that.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Pretty much any diesel is "designed" for boost. In fact it's nearly a crime against nature to leave one naturally aspirated. Most of the problems associated with force feeding a gasoline engine, do not apply to a diesel. The major concern is cylinder pressure, the integrity of your HG, and the holding strength of your head bolts/studs. The idi is a high compression motor. So, bone stock, if you feed it more than about 12 psi, it's going to lift a head/blow a gasket. But then, 12psi is a decent amount of boost. The bottom end of these motors is WAY overbuilt for the power numbers they are capable of, even in extreme builds.

Even the hypermax super idi still used the stock bottom end. (I just learned that reading the thread again) That motor ran 140ish psi boost.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
The 93/94 trucks were offered with a factory turbo option, even if International/Ford didn't technically design these for turbo boosting, in my opinion once they offered a factory turbo option, they gave us all their blessing to turbo things ourselves.. :D

I've seen thrown rods on non turbo engines, too. I had a friend in high school who's dad handed him down a real nice f350/4x4, he flogged it and ran it low on oil and ether'd it until she came undone in a very bad way... popped a rod through the crankcase in the high school parking lot. :eek:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
If it Is a van, it mIght not work for you. Turbo in van is alot different than truck

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it Is a van, it mIght not work for you. Turbo in van is alot different than truck

In theory the most I would need to change is a down pipe and get new exhaust, but the manifolds, mounting pedestal, waste gate as well as the turbo itself would be the same wouldn't it?