What water pump to get

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion...spend the money for a motorcraft. The motorcraft water ups have machined gasket surfaces that make sealing them much better than a cast gasket surface. There is a long tech article from AL that goes through this and has lots of great pictures.

I went with a motorcraft and have been extremely happy with it. Yes, it was 100 bucks or so, but I bet I won't have to replace it for a while either.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The motorcraft pump does hold up very well. A few years ago Mel needed to change his on the original Moose Truck after something like 23 years. You bet he bought another factory new pump. These days many of the rebuilders are not doing a good job.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
International or Ford parts counter. Just be sure to ask for a NEW and not a rebuilt or remanufactured item. Sometimes its difficult telling the counter people how to best do their job. Some are know it alls too. Remember there are plenty of other parts counters to spend your money if a particular place is giving you issues. At one time I had 5 Ford dealers within 9 miles of my home. Now there is ONLY one. I did not give 2 ***** they all were closed either. Three of them ripped me off more than once with repairs way back in the mid 1990's. Funny how karma catches up with you.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Get a new Motorcraft or IH pump and be done with it. Changing one is too big of a pita to take chances on a reman/parts store pump imo.