What tools do I need to remove the rear disk brakes?

Reaction score
There are several late model 2500’s in our tank salvage yard over here. Most of them are 2005 and up. I want to pull the rear disk brakes off of a few of them. What tools will I need for that? I need the specific tools and only the tools required. I will have to borrow them so I can only get the ones I absolutely need. I want to pull the bracket, caliper, and rotor. Will I have to remove the hub as well? If so, will that require a special hub socket? Also, if any of you have any photographs of what all is involved, that would be a big help. I have never messed with one of these AAM axles or a late model Chevy.

Thank you for your help

Last edited:

suv7734

Reaction score
Hmmmm... Watcha gonna do with those lol

I just did the rears on a buddies 2006 a few weeks ago. The caliper pins require an 18mm socket to remove. Once the calipers are removed the rotors will come off the hub as the wheel is what holds them in place. They may take some persuasion if they are rusted in place. The backing plate/e brake assembly and caliper bracket are held in place by four bolts but I don't know the size, might be the 18mm but could also be 3/4" :dunno Once those bolts are out everything will slide right off. You may want to keep the intermediate e brake cables and a big pair of wire cutters of hacksaw should cut them free of the main cable assembly. Cut the steel brake line and then pop the rubber hose out of the bracket with a big screwdriver. So let's see what we have...
1- 1/2" ratchet
1- 3" long 1/2" extension (just in case)
1- hacksaw
1- large set of wire cutters/linesman pliers
1- large flat screwdriver
1- 3/4" (1/2" drive) socket
1- 3/4" combination wrench
1- hammer
1- block of wood (to beat the rotor if neccesary)
I think that's about it unless the caliper bracket bolt are a different size. I'll try to check and post back. Here's a couple of pick of the e brake assembly so you'll know what it looks like with the rotor off (thx Autozone).
Stay safe over there.

Attachments

• p_brake.jpg
    p_brake.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 0
  • p_brake1.jpg
    p_brake1.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
Thanks. That parking brake cable was a pain. I'll try your way and I am sure to have better luck. The backing plate nuts are a 24MM and one of them was not easy to get to. So I got a wrench and used a forklift to break it lose.

Attachments

• DSCN2836.JPG
    DSCN2836.JPG
    950.2 KB · Views: 3