What to do when the engine is out and apart?

youngunbd

Reaction score
So as the the title says, I believe my 6.9 will be coming out soon. I am getting the ever loved oil ooze from the rear corner of the passenger head. I am picking up NIB studs tomorrow from craigslist, then I will hold of on gaskets and such till the time comes. Now on to my questions. I have a large amount of blow by, is this because my previous owner hocked the CDR when he installed the turbo? At least I think it's a large amount, enough for me to wonder about doing rings and bearings while I'm at it?

My main question is, what all should I do to the heads? Complete valve job? What all does that entail? I am really hoping it won't need any machine work because I aim to do this over a weekend.

Supposedly the motor has 165k on it, with only one head gasket being done and not the other before the PO got the motor, why only one... well that's grass valley logic... the funny smoke flows free up in them hills.

I was also curious about 7.3 rocker arms. They are 4 bucks a pop at my local pick n pull, but do I need the full assembly, because that is like 26 a pop, 39 on rock auto?

Welp tomorrow I will re-torque the head bolt in the corner and hopefully it can hobble me along this week till I can yank the motor, possibly next weekend, what say y'all? What all should I do with the motor apart? One final note, this is on a broke community college student budget but I will do what is necessary

Also just donned on me, When driving, then letting motor cool over night, when I got to pop open the radiator, the overflow bottle gets bubbles. I was told that was also a sign of **** for HG

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What you discribe sounds like head gaskets from you pm to me. As for the rockers at pnp.. I will pass and get new rockers on ebay. Rockers wear and the differant valves will not match the wear on the used ones. If you could grind the old rockers clean of the wear then they will work ok. As for ringing the engine.. Why. That mileage is just right for a good set of working rings. Doing the oil cooler o-rings is a must do when the engine is out. Get the right o-rings and gaskets from typ4 aka Russ in Oregon. He has the type that wil last. You really don't want to install the black o-tings. Front and rear main seals are an easy job when the engine is out. Check the oil pan for a gasket. If you have one remove it before it leaks.. The factory used rtv and it works much better than a cork or rubber gasket.

youngunbd

Reaction score
I just went out and snapped these photos from the underside and from the wheel well, these all try and show the back of the passenger head. The red/orange stuff is my coolant, I know for darn sure it shouldn't be coming out back there!!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach