What manual transmission to use with a DT360?

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I've decided to make a dedicated effort to find a DT360 this spring for my super F350, but I'm having difficulty finding information on transmissions, this will be a work truck and see dirt, mud, snow, but no crazy wheeling, it will be a 4x4, but I can remote mount a transfer case.

Here's what I have looked at:

NV5600- stout, comes in a 4x4 version from the factory, hard to find, pricy, short production run, possible parts availability issue.

Spicer 7 speed with OD, 6 usable gears plus a crawler gear, not sure about parts.

Ranger- Know the name, that's about it.

I'm looking for some names, and general input, it's hard to use google if you don't know what you are looking for cookoo

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is something I've been researching since I got my DT466 in November. The NV wouldn't be a terrible option, depending on the power level you are going to push the DT360 to. I'm going to need something heavier as the plan for my DT is about 700-800HP.

The Spicer 6+1 (ESO66-7B) isn't too heavy (about 456lbs) and will give you an overdrive, but I've heard they can be a bit notchy when shifting. It should hold up well to the extra HP. It is only rated for 250HP and 660 lb/ft. though.

There is a guy on Competition Diesel who is running a John Deere 466 in his F250 with a spicer 5 speed and he is pulling the truck competitively. He is using a SCS dropbox t-case as his modified NP205's couldn't handle the torque.

There are a lot Eaton Fullers out there. I've been looking at Eaton fuller FSO-8406A (6-speed overdrive) and a TX-14607B (7-speed overdrive). The 6 speed is rated for 800 lb/ft and the 7 speed is rated for 1,400 lb/ft. They are supposed to be better to shift than the spicer, are heavy duty, but are both about 600lbs. Use this link to get all the spec's on any Eaton Fuller tranny.

I too want something with an overdrive, strong, and user friendly, but not crazy heavy or long.

I'm not sure which I'm going to go with yet. Time will tell.

Heath

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IF I could find one, a fuller rto610 would be cool, but it takes up lots of floor space.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's another one on eBay. It's a "Buy it now" or "Make Offer" deal. I'd offer about $700-800 for it.

Heath

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
There is a guy on Competition Diesel who is running a John Deere 466 in his F250 with a spicer 5 speed and he is pulling the truck competitively. He is using a SCS dropbox t-case as his modified NP205's couldn't handle the torque.
Heath

John Deere used a IH 466?

and awsome swap! i wanna swap a 466 in an 4 door IH pickup, if i ever find one... :love:

-Jon

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NB what do you think you will use?:dunno Did you find anything else that sounds like a reasonable tranny for you project.

Heath

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I'm really not sure yet, I have a feeling this might start our with a 6.9/ZF5 to get the rest of the truck done, then time to go looking for the engine and transmission, I like the idea of a 7 speed, but I have it'll take time and a looooong ass drive to find the parts I need.

Of course then I'd have to find an old International Travelall to drop the turboed six point nine / Five into

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. It's going to be a bit of time before starting anything. I want all my "big" parts before digging into the truck or the DT. I wanna "mock" everything up and finished all the mods before moiving on the paint and "finish" work.

My mind is not made up on going with the Spicer or with one of the above Eaton Fullers.

Heath

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I'm really not sure yet, I have a feeling this might start our with a 6.9/ZF5 to get the rest of the truck done, then time to go looking for the engine and transmission, I like the idea of a 7 speed, but I have it'll take time and a looooong ass drive to find the parts I need.

Of course then I'd have to find an old International Travelall to drop the turboed six point nine / Five into

they fit like they were meant to be in them! ;Sweet

-Jon