What lift Pump is Good for WMO?

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I am running WMO, and I still have a mechanical lift pump, Is that okay?? I am currently running a 50/50 mix. Will I damage a mechanical lift pump from the thicker viscosity of 50/50?

to those who have more WMO drive time than my 500 miles, (almost anyone here using wmo) what are you using for lift pumps?

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stock carter lift pump is what i run. Its been fine for the last 10000 miles of 75% mwo 25% K1 mix i don't expect to have any problems.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stock carter lift pump is what i run. Its been fine for the last 10000 miles of 75% mwo 25% K1 mix i don't expect to have any problems.

Okay, I had planned to switch over to an electric carrier pump, but now I am not sure if that is such a great idea.

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from what i have been hearing you will have more problems trying to pump wmo with an electric pump. If you do the carrier pump I think you have to stay 50% or less WMO mix.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm.. not what I wanted to have happen. I plan to run 60/40 soon as I get my supply steady and WMO mix consistant. Guess I might be a mechanical pump kinda guy. Is there a way to install a bleed pump onto our IDI trucks? my mercedes has one that works good for changing filters.

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WMOGUY runs a turbowerx electric pump I think that one handles the wom better. I have no information on that model or how it works.

As far as bleed pump I dont know but I see how that would be handy if you run out of fuel.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I have bot had any luck with electric pumps holding up to wmo, the stock lift pump seems to be the best unless you invest in a serious pump like a rapter or turbowex that is designed to move thicker fluid. I have not run one yet to confirm though.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WMOGUY runs a turbowerx electric pump I think that one handles the wom better. I have no information on that model or how it works.

As far as bleed pump I dont know but I see how that would be handy if you run out of fuel.

I looked at the turbowerks pump, and its nice. Just out of my price range right now. I had planned to switch to a carrier pump, then due to costs I started running WMO, now I feel kinda stuck for the moment. Think I will have to stay with the mechanical pump for right now. Would be nice to have a one person easy bleed system in place. I don't know of a different way other than electric lift pump to accomplish this.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
That walbro looks interesting, trouble is bio flows about the same as diesel. That does not mean its going to pump wmo well, I would like to see if it could though. Both those pumps are on the turbowex price range though.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That walbro looks interesting, trouble is bio flows about the same as diesel. That does not mean its going to pump wmo well, I would like to see if it could though. Both those pumps are on the turbowex price range though.

If its about the same price I should look into the turbowerx. what model # of turbowerx is the one we need?

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Walbro would look very good to me if they did indeed have a 12v pump. I just installed my Carter 4070 so we will see how long it lasts.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I looked up the turbowerx pump the first time I must have found the wrong item?

All things being equal I would choose it over the other pumps for my truck. Is anyone on here using the carrier pump with 50/50 (WMO/ diesel).

I really want to run 60/40 mix in my car and truck, but when I blended it up that way my truck did not like it! At the time I was using no RUG. So I had to dilute with 5 gallon of diesel to make it run better.

I will try mixing it with 10% RUG like this: 10 gal. oil, 10 gal Diesel & 2 gal RUG for a total 22 gallon of fuel mix.
If that goes well I will make a batch with 1 less gallon of diesel to test.

I need to keep mix end mix in mind for selecting a lift pump!