What kind of gear oil are you guys running

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
standard 80w90 , no issues ever.

Same here. I always end up changing the oil more frequently because I'm always doing things to diffs. Hate to be dumping oil I paid lots for.

I haven't ever put additive in any of my posi diffs.... except maybe a GM gov-bomb once upon a time. On worn/tired units (trac & powr-loks), the lack of modifier seems to make them grip better again. YMMV, just my personal experience.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will NEVER use Walmart/supertech gear oil again. They got caught with their pants down at one point with oil that wasn't as spec'd. I still blame the axle that blew apart on their oil.
that was a very long time ago and it was a labeling mistake.it was 85w140 but labeled 80w90

UMR_Engnr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used Valvoline SynPower 75w140. It doesn't require a friction modifier additive for limited slip axles.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here. I always end up changing the oil more frequently because I'm always doing things to diffs. Hate to be dumping oil I paid lots for.

I haven't ever put additive in any of my posi diffs.... except maybe a GM gov-bomb once upon a time. On worn/tired units (trac & powr-loks), the lack of modifier seems to make them grip better again. YMMV, just my personal experience.
Some oils(like the Mobil1 stuff mentioned above) claims to already have friction modifier built in. It's only the bargain-basement stuff that doesn't, based on what I've seen.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I currently have 80-90 dino in the flood victim since everything was full of water when I got the truck.

Next summer, I plan to flush my diffs and trans when I swap t-cases and refill with the cat stuff since my cost is free-99. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online