What Exhaust Do You All Have On Your N/A Trucks?

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Right now I have the factory exhaust with what I can only call the "BUS MUFFLER" on it. Quiet as a mouse. I'm thinking of running true 2.5" duals with a crosspipe and glasspacks but I don't know what it will sound like after I do it.

Would 2.5" be big enough?
Would is sound just as good if I put a single in/ dual out muffler in place of the factory muffler?
Is anybody running duals on their trucks or just big single?
Anybody have videos of their trucks driving so I could hear some differant exhaust setups?

I'm not looking for loud (getting old, I know) just a good deep rumble and some actual exhaust note when I'm getting on it. ;Sweet

nappy nate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the stock 2.5" down to the Y ,from there 3" pipe and 'superduty muffler'(thats what my mechanic called it)and 3" out the back I love it not loud but it kinda there.

When I bought the truck it had true duals with 2.5" pipes 'blue streak' glass packs. It was cool unless I wanted to be quiet for a minute , eventually I hated it . It sounded like a big block N/A with headers and glass packs on roids. Much to the disappointment to the kids in my life I got rid of the glass packs, which I have read are not meant to be used on diesels.

nate

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im running a Walker BTM (Big Truck Muffler) to a 4in Napa Tail Pipe. It sounds pretty good. But no matter what you do these trucks will sound like a Big Block V8, because they are. The high compression is really what does it i think.

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
NN- When you had true duals did the tailpipes come all the way out the back or did they dump under the truck? Just wondering if it would be quiet enough with the pipes dumping out back than underneath.

philadelphia

Reaction score
My big truck has two flowmaster 2 chambers into a 3" flowmaster y pipe then that leads to a 4" to 5" coupling and a 5" peterbuilt stack..

And yup it sounds more like a big block..

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I got factory manifolds, Y pipe and that's where the factory stops. I installed a 2.5" glasspack, under the cab (under the back seat), then turned the pipe out the passenger side before the rear wheel. Yes, it sounds AWSOME!

With that said, maybe it's just cause I am getting older, I dunno, but I am going to install a factory muffler ASAP. Too loud for me.

RWF350

Reaction score
Stock y-pipe/exhaust pipe into 40-series Flowmaster (3" in), out on 2 1/4" tailpipes to each side behind the rear wheels with 3 1/2" stainless tips. Yep, sounds like a big block. Noise level is decent, not too obnoxious.
I originally had a 3" glasspack in place of the Flowmaster (same tailpipes). I kid you not, it was so loud you could hear the echo come back from the 6" curbs along the street. If you stepped in hard (pulling) in would cackle every d*** time. When I would leave, you would get tired of listening & go do something else before I would get far enough away not to hear it.
On a gas burner, there usually is not much difference between a Flowmaster and a glasspack, but on these guys it's a huge difference. I work for a shop that does exhaust and I put the Flowmaster on used (not knowing what it would sound like). When it gives way, I'll buy a new one.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
it's just a single 2.5" with a 24" cherrybomb...i dont have this truck anymore but here's the vids anyway

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had stock with a cherry bomb that wasnt bad it was a big big block gasser sound
now i have 2.5 still stock with straght pipe dumping before the axle its a bit loud even for my ears
im going to true dual 3 inch out the pass side before the wheel and i expect that to be quieter because of the location

plus if you want to be loud you can always put dynomat or similar inside to make the ride nice

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Where the stock y comes together I cut it up and made it so they both dump into a 3 inch pipe. It then runs to a thrush welded muffler and turns out in front of the tire with a stainless 5 inch tip.

Its not real loud but its got a nice low end tone to it. Its sounds like an NA diesel without the rasp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online