What air filter is recommended for 1991 7.3 idi?

Travis Horner

Reaction score
Gotta change my air filter in my 1991 ford f250 7.3 idi, it's hard to find motorcraft filters for the truck online. What brand is recommended that's easy to find.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Just go to the parts store. Some will say anything but fram.
But imo, fram air filters aren't terrible. But stp are alright.
You didn't mention turbo, so I presume it's not.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While on the subject of air filters, there is a sheet metal tab about three inches wide on the bottom of my air filter housing, that looks like it's intended to index the housing. But it doesn't seem to fit properly anywhere... is this factory original or some previous-owner modification?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fram makes a great air filter. They can't be compared to the low quality oil filters from 20 yrs ago. I don't like the STP filters. They don't have much capacity and will plug quickly. I'm running my last Baldwin I got from the uhaul guy on eBay. Prolly go with wix next as I can't find fram air filters around here.

Stay away from the k&n garbage.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prolly go with wix next as I can't find fram air filters around here.

I bought a Wix filter for my wife's car and was thoroughly dissapointed with the (lack of) quality. Enough so that I won't buy another. Napa gold is what I'll buy for my truck next time.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
While on the subject of air filters, there is a sheet metal tab about three inches wide on the bottom of my air filter housing, that looks like it's intended to index the housing. But it doesn't seem to fit properly anywhere... is this factory original or some previous-owner modification?
Nope, it's a deflector for noise. Cut it out.
I bought a Wix filter for my wife's car and was thoroughly dissapointed with the (lack of) quality. Enough so that I won't buy another. Napa gold is what I'll buy for my truck next time.
Wix = napa gold, IIRC.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a locatator iirc, been a while since I had stock intake on my truck.

What filter do I recommend? 6637 all the way, filter better than stock and outflows stock as well. But not exactly drop in...

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think I described it properly. This tab is on the outside of the housing, underneath, and looks like it's supposed to straddle the bolt heads on the front of the intake.

That is exactly what it is for. Alignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk