Wet Sanding Metallic Paint

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While my hood cowling is off, I'm repainting it.

I put on about 5 light coats of primer, then wet sanded it so it came out as smooth as a baby's butt... at least in most places.

Now I'm putting on the Emerald Green paint... has some metallic particles in it.

I was wondering if I should wet sand this paint, lightly by hand, once it dries. Can this be done with no adverse effects?

Should I respray with a final 2 coats of green, then clearcoat once that is dry? Or, can I just clearcoat after I wet sand?

I'm concerned that I'll dull the paint somehow before putting on the clearcoat.

Just trying to get things to turn out better this time than they did with the tailgate.

ON EDIT: I'm using Duplicolor spray cans... no paint booth. This a backyard hack job at its finest.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First let me preface that I have yet to color sand "bomb can" pigment and then apply clear over it. But as far as the pain booth is concerned, no colorsanding is done to most of the modern pigment coatings. the colorsanding happens on the clear itself. that is how "depth" is achieved these days. Largest item is disturbing the "lay" of the metalic itself and you don't want to disturb it.