Well truck debate has ended for good

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
As you know I have been looking into the new rules that apply to truck with gvws over 11,000lbs and the info I got today from a 12 plus year experienced guy in trucking. I'am gonna have to stick with a F-350 the gov't has made it non profitable or feasable for small operators like me to use a F-450 sized truck.

One of the new rules is if you get 3 violation tickets which could be speeding tickets or overweight tickets your commercial license gets revoked you pretty much have to close up shop.

These new rules apply to P/Us pulling horse trailers too so if you gross combine more than 10,000lbs you need the paper work etc.

Well going back to a F-350 has some benefits the truck should hopefully get slightly better fuel mileage. The truck shouldn't ride as rough as my current truck you hit bumps too hard your kindneys take a beating LOL

The long standing problem with traction should end when I get 4wheeldrive no more deciding which is more important ie carrying capacity or traction ;Sweet

Having the want for 4wheeldrive has been pestering me for awhile now because I know if I go back into rubbish removal hauling away the debris from construction sites I should have a 4x4. I would like to have 4wheeldrive again for the convenience its nice to have it when you need it.

I researched traction aids for rear diffs to increase the traction of a 2wd and they had pros and cons. The tried and true Detroit locker is good for offroad but for on road its too much clanking and banging. The limited slip choice for a Dana 80 is the True trac its good but like all limited slips it doesn't work that good for offroad.

I thought about a winch but that is only good if you got something to hook on to most places there isn't a good straight pull it doesn't help if I get stuck in the wrong direction.

I will have to upgrade the F-350s brakes the first mod would be scrapping that rotten vacuum booster and removing the ABS crap and replacing it with hydroboost and a conventional brake line to the rear brakes.

The second thing would be try find a Dana 80 or a Dana 70HD to get rid of the 10.25 Ford I really don't trust it. I have been running nothing but Dana axles in my 1 tons for years so I trust the strength and durability. What I would really want is rear disk brakes so you have some decent stopping power.

I will probably run 7.50R-16E or rubber so I get maximum contact pressure and the 4 tires dig instead of float. The problem with F-350s wheels is with 235 Rubber there really isn't much space between the duals. The tires are so wide they float instead of dig they spin as if they are a extra wide single tire.

The most important thing is get a dump body put on the truck so I can get back into the soil hauling and make some money during the winter.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Don't sell that Ford/Sterling LS short. That's a stout axle that works well. Keep good synthetic fluid in there with the friction modifier and drop the hammer. 4:10 gears is what you'll probably end up with. With a manual tranny you'll have good low-end.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Unless you're hitting the mogles at the MX track that rear axle will do fine. No sense fixing what ain't broke!

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the axles, from a specs stand point the main difference between the 10.25 and the Dana 70 other than a slightly larger ring gear, is the 10.25 has larger pinion shaft.

The brakes are easier to service on the 10.25 which won't matter if you are considering upgrading to after market disc. No silly tabs to bend on the hub nuts/washer and the drums come off without pulling the hubs. If you run loaded and heat up the brakes alot, don't expect more than 60-65k (miles) on the rear hub seals. At least that has been my experience. A set of slotted (not drilled) front rotors would help too.

Ford 10.25 specs
Ring Gear Diameter 10.25”
Pinion Shaft Diameter 1.938"
Ring Gear Bolts 1/2” x 20 RH Threads 12
Cover Bolts 12
Pinion Splines 31

Dana 70 specs
Ring Gear Diameter 10.5”
Pinion Shaft Diameter 1.750"
Cover Bolts 10
Ring Gear 1/2” x 20 RH Threads 12
Pinion Splines 29

Dana 80 specs
Ring Gear Diameter 11.5"
Pinion Shaft Diameter 2.00"
Ring Gear Bolts 9/16” x 18 RH Threads 12
Cover Bolts 10
Pinion Splines 37

Last edited:

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That 10.25 rear is a very strong axle. I have abused alot of them, in Dad's truck when I was a young operator for him, overloading his trucks, and thrashing them down dirt roads with way too much material on them and NEVER had an axle failure. I can't stress how much a young man with a new license can hurt a truck, and I tested it, everyday. Not saying it cannot break, but you would have to work hard at it. IF you get a solid F350 with good running gear, you will have a reliable truck. Scotty

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
I never had a truck with a 10.25 but I will try it and see how well it stands up I know the loggers haven't had any troubles with them in their crew trucks which usually are 86-97 F-350 4x4 crewcabs with 4000lbs of gear in the box. The trucks are definatly at full gross or even more depending on what they are using the truck for these trucks spend 90% of their life offroad and only see pavement when they go to the shop to get tuned up every 6 months or so.

I'am not abusive to driveline in my trucks I don't do full rpm clutch dumps or spin wheels with a heavy load on the truck. I haven't ever ruined a gear set I have bent a axle that was in my 79 F-150 4x4 beefed the rear springs up to 3/4 ton spec's. The poor old 9" Ford couldn't handle the full cords of firewood I was packing on the truck (3000lbs). That was when I didn't know anybetter I did wonder why wheelbearings were not lasting long :D

The thing I would really like to increase is the braking power I wish there was a easy way of converting the rear drums to disks or I may have to go with the stock drums and go with real aggressive brake shoes.

turbo69

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
Jon-

That's an awesome link to the 4dr bronco site.

Hey KW-

Does this mean we get to stop reading those "I can't decide what truck to buy, but I want one of these" type posts?

J/K :backoff :rotflmao :sorry:

On edit:

I tried to download the drawings for the brackets and such, but the yahoo site would not let me. So, I have e-mailed the author of the post in hopes of recieving a response.

Last edited:

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
It might not be over yet I have found a 95 F-Superduty with low kilometers for a really good price alot cheaper than the higher kilometerage F-350 4x4 I have found.

I also may still have problems with trying to keep under the 11,000lb mark with a F-350. I will have to chew the fat with the local insurance agency that deals with the ICBC (insurance registration). The problem with insurance coverage I will have to really look into. Its something I have been thinking about and explore a little bit further. I'am pretty sure I'am screwed especially if I do get in a accident or if the RCMP do want to look at my insurance papers and I'am doing this illegally.

I was also talking with my old man today about what I'am doing he says don't risk it trying to run a 1 ton. So another thing to think about ;burnout

I have to do this right I really don't want to run around with void insurance.

turbo69

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
Yep, I think so, other than the link to the 4drbronc site, it's pretty much the same ole same ole, about to get to the same ole same ole....

BTW-if its okay with the originator, the drawings and info for sterling 10.25 disc brake conversion will be here shortly.

turbo69

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
So, if this went to the Refinery, and we all tore him up one side and down the other, would that then be considered a "P.A.P Smear" ???