well shes toast! E4OD TO ZF5 SWAP begins

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
so my white single cab 1ton 4x4 has finally showed me its tired of the auto..

driving to vegasmifits to pickup another truck i bought, when i finally stopped at a light for the first time in miles the trans started this loud grinding and slipping.

if i downshift to first and take off easy im golden.. once im rolling it doesnt slip.. if i leave it in drive and stop i get the noise again.

so im assuming something is wrong with first gear. no codes, no low fluid. i drove it 180 miles home with no issues.

yesterday i lost my overdrive for awhile and its now wanting to shift straight from first to third with converter locked..

Ive put maybe 12k miles on it since buying it and was really happy with the performance of the e4od.. well now im over it.

pictures will come as i take them. i want to give back to OB with a write up but at the same time any help and experience would be greatly appreciated!

sadly i will be using my maroon utility 1ton 4x4 for the parts. i do have a set of zf5 single cab 460 drivelines that i will use instead. i plan to put the maroon truck

back as soon as i can. for now my only reliable truck is my white one so im going to hustle and try to install hydroboost while im in there.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not a terrible project at all. There are some things that are a pain just because of their location......... removing the auto pedal assembly and replacing it with a manual version, the firewall reinforcement plate, and swapping column parts from auto to manual come to mind. Would be nice if you have a donor column of the same vintage that you can just swap rather than convert the auto one.

I want hydro boost, but have had bigger fish to fry with the crew cab that I haven't tried finding the parts.

Can't wait for the pics man.

Heath

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont forget to tell everyone about the pump that let you drive her all the way home from my house haha

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
dont forget to tell everyone about the pump that let you drive her all the way home from my house haha

oh yeah! i had some real loss of power on hills. changed my filter but i could not tell the power difference because i previously had my car hauler hooked up and there are not many steep grades here. well i made it 12 miles when it **** on me. towed it home and $35 later for a new lift pump, i finally got on the road. both times my truck gave me fair warning she wasn't happy. i should have done the lift pump right away.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
i was talking about the slime pump from walmart to get the gallon of fluid into your e4 haha

ooohhh yeah. you mean for the t-case? i thought it was my t-case at first. earlier on 101 i thought i heard t-case grinding but it was just some hoopty car driving next to me..

after the issue in seaside i figured if my pump went out i can atleast fill the t-case with ATF from the speedo hole so it will have plenty of fluid...

recently a 3-car hauler friend of mine had his 96 powerstroke bw1356 t-case pump go out. the shop told him the only thing that saved him from total destruction was the failing rear output seal on the e4od. it filled the t-case with enough fluid to keep the shaft lubed. i thought it couldn't hurt so kyle gave me a ride to wally world and easily found the ATF... but no pump.

kyle and I spot a 1gallon slime tire sealant container with a long tube attached to a pump. SCORE. i pumped 1gallon of ATF in faster then i have ever filled any fluid with a pump

Last edited:

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am definately interested in that trans it can be rebuilt could the t case be included

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at least you are doing 2 zf swaps basically at the same time... so if you miss/forget to take pictures on one you always have the other... looking forward to the write up

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
partial donor truck

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if i am lucky maybe someone from around you is goin to the rally i could send you money via paypal they would have to come right past me to get there

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
if i am lucky maybe someone from around you is goin to the rally i could send you money via paypal they would have to come right past me to get there

yeah i dont know how many people from the west coast are going out.. send me a PM if you find someone

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
It's not a terrible project at all. There are some things that are a pain just because of their location......... removing the auto pedal assembly and replacing it with a manual version, the firewall reinforcement plate, and swapping column parts from auto to manual come to mind. Would be nice if you have a donor column of the same vintage that you can just swap rather than convert the auto one

Heath

thats also the only part im not looking forward to. honestly ive never pulled a column out and swapped pedals so its new to me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online