Well......it runs......

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
The van is finally back together....

When did I take it apart? November? October? Heck I forget its been so long.

Just to recap, I replaced the passengers side cylinder head only - bad exhaust valve guide - dreaded exhaust chuff.....

Ive learned a few things.....

1.When the head is off, check all the bolt holes for broken bolts......even if you took all the bolts out yourself.....

2. On a van the timing doo-hickie goes on #4......believe it or not its on #2 right now.....well thats where it was on my parts engine. Soo.........

3. Do not misplace your GOOD engine dipstick and install it BEFORE you put the exhaust manifold on.....yeah I will dig back in after I recoop.

4. Install the air intake BEFORE you install the alternator......ugh

5. dont beleive that just because your return cap o rings were good 5 months ago, they are good now.......

6. I am done with gear reduction starters....after messing with it for an hour, ...cranking...let it cool...crank it let it cool, the old gal finally gave out. This van never started as well as my pick up even when it was running good, pulled the old one out, got a lifetime from o reilly - direct drive, BOOM cranking speed is alot higher, fires in less than a revolution when warm. You guys can have all those HD gear reduction units......

Exhaust chuff is GONE, engine sounds like music once again.....steady pressure out the exhaust.....ahh.....

UNFORTUNATLY.......my glow plugs are champions......pulled the autolites in favor of these form the parts engine.....not sure I stepped up.....but, the GPC cycles normally now....We will see how it starts tomorrow am....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am happy to hear that you've got your CHUFFLESS engine once again, gotta suck to have chuff, don't ask how I know LOL

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Now that its running please replace the champion glow plugs before they burn out and swell up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance