Weird popping noise coming from rear end

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
Hi guys, Im here at oilburners because nobody wants to give me help anywhere else, but anyways I have a 1994 Chevy K1500 Z-71 and I have aquired a popping noise in the rear end somewhere. Only does it at low speeds and not all the time. I replaced the u joint closest to the differential. The only other culprits I can think it could be is the u joint by the transfer case, the ring and pinion, axle bearings or maybe something in the drum brakes. Im stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How far back on the truck does it sound like the sound is coming from?

If it's all the way back, it could be your differential, you might have a 'posi' I'm not sure what the z-71 package consisted of. If it's a 'posi' or limited slip, it might be coming from the rear-end adjusting to 'lock' the wheels together while going straight, and unlocking them while turning. You might want to consider cracking open the diff and seeing what it looks like in there, it might need work; then again, you might just need to replace the fluid, either way, that pan/cover would have to drop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86