Weekend success! Engine swap complete...

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Well, the engine is moved over from the '85 truck, and the '94 is back on the road again. ;Sweet

I've got some nice bruises, a few cuts and scrapes, but all in all I'm pretty happy with the way it went.

I installed a new Valeo stock clutch kit on the dual mass that was originally on the 7.3 - All the springs were in good shape and it only had about 1/2" of freewheel, so I'm going to keep running it. Also installed a new rear main seal and speedi-sleeve, and valve cover gaskets.

The most time consuming part was digging the old olives out of the turbo supply line.... holy toledo! those were STUCK in there good. :eek:

I couldn't have done this without my wife. I've given her alot of flak over the years but she really kicked ass this weekend. She operated the hoist, handed me tools and cold beer, kept food in front of me all weekend, offered words of wisdom and advice. This little project brought us together, when I got to work this morning the first thing she asked was "how did the truck run?" :D

Good times!

You must be registered for see images attach

sassyrel

Reaction score
ahhh, the joys of swapping engines...:D:D antifeeze,and engine oil,,make a great combination...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A technique I use for getting stubborn olives out, is to just burn them out with a propane torch. Many times, like on the IP fuel inlet line, they are so hard and misshapen that you can't really get them out any other way.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Soaking the ends in brake fluid overnite works well . That stuff really softens the rubber.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow you guys did good! How's she running? I do the brake fluid as well I like it. An for other similar things as well really works good on seals on bikes.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
The propane torch and brake fluid ideas are great! I could've shaved an easy hour off this project with that!

I need to do the filter-to-IP olives, one is leaking... out comes the torch! ;Sweet

Other than that it runs great. The Valeo clutch is so smooth and easy to operate. This truck clutch was such a pain, at one point I had to stop driving it when I hurt my back because I couldn't overcome the pedal effort... I thought that was just par for the course with these trucks... Nope, new clutch and it works like a hot knife through butter!

I do need to R&R one injector. I had a set of eight I got from Russ a while back, but one broke off and got stuck in the head of the old 7.3 :rolleyes:

So I need to come up with one new injector and get them all set to the same pressure.. Might end up building a pop tester, as I have accumulated a bunch of small bottle jacks somehow. :dunno

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
good deal, must be nice to have that monkey off your back now!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great swapping job. How did you get the engine and HF hoist in the bed of that truck? Ya think the RV campground will be happy now? Hope there off your back now.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Thanks, it's nice to be done... The 7.3 will be getting torn down at Towcat's to identify the root cause of the knock.

I used the hoist to drop the engine into the bed, used old trailer tires to prop it up, strapped it down, then the wife and I threw the hoist behind it. I'm going to run by the scales to see how much weight i've got in there before I offload...

The trailer park staff did "give me a little talk" this weekend about complaints of "oil smells" from the other residents.. I promised to clean up my toys when I was done, and they went on their way... LOL

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great swapping job. How did you get the engine and HF hoist in the bed of that truck? Ya think the RV campground will be happy now? Hope there off your back now.
that "HF" hoist was bought years before HF existed(at least in the sfba). ironically, the price for the hoist hasn't changed since 1993.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that "HF" hoist was bought years before HF existed(at least in the sfba). ironically, the price for the hoist hasn't changed since 1993.

Must be borrowed from you then towcat. Better check the hitch pins for wear if it's that old. :D Still a $149.00. Got one just like it Orange color, just bought the foldup one, Gray color for $129 with 30% discount coupon, hell'va deal.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Must be borrowed from you then towcat. Better check the hitch pins for wear if it's that old. :D Still a $149.00. Got one just like it Orange color, just bought the foldup one, Gray color for $129 with 30% discount coupon, hell'va deal.
i use a wrecker unit for removing motors these days. the hoist is used for respotting motors in the shop. ironically you paid less for your hoist than I did. that one cost me $180 back then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.