Water separator

nightrunner84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was working on my truck today and noticed that the water seperator was bypassed. I've heard that they can leak air into the system, maybe thats why the previous owner did it. My question is, why would a little water in the fuel hurt a diesel? There is no seperator on a gas car, they just burn it and you never notice the little bit of moisture going through the motor. Do I need to buy another separator?, or would it be fine not to have one.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Water isn't good for diesels. even though it can be burned, the injection pump doesn't like water. Best suggestion is to upgrade to a 7.3 filter head and run the wix 33617 filter. the fuel filter and water seperator is all in one.

nightrunner84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it because it will rust it? Water has the same compressablity as diesel fuel, none. How does it hurt the pump? Good call on the filter towcat, does that filter have a way to drain the water out?

suv7734

Reaction score
Is it because it will rust it? Water has the same compressablity as diesel fuel, none. How does it hurt the pump?
Think of it like this... it has the same "compressability" as engine oil and you don't want water in your engine...
There is also the issue of what it does to the injectors as it passes through because of the same problem among others.
Good call on the filter towcat, does that filter have a way to drain the water out?

There is a drain on the stock 7.3 unit on the bottom. Racor also makes units that are adaptable with the same drain on the bottom type setup.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it because it will rust it? Water has the same compressablity as diesel fuel, none. How does it hurt the pump? Good call on the filter towcat, does that filter have a way to drain the water out?
you bet. see the knob?

Attachments

• 06-27-06_2143.jpg
    06-27-06_2143.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 06-27-06_2142.jpg
    06-27-06_2142.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 19

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member