Wally the Walrus (1992 E350 High Roof/Ext. Body)

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started to reply a couple of days ago but I saw a squirrel and was distracted. I am of a similar opinion in that a lot can be done with sound deadening and insulation, and that it’s probably a more effective way to quiet down the interior than trying to keep RPM’s as low as possible. I know things are complicated on a van since the engine is basically inside with you. FWIW the Amazon basics sound deadener works awesome and is half the price of the name brands.

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
I noticed the difference after driving two identical IDI vans the same day. One was very quiet, and the other was as noisy as a motorcycle.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much of an update, but its been forever none-the-less. Rain is bound for the San Juans, or that is at least what the forecasts are saying. Which means I wanna get my redneck shed roof covered (OSB) before the rains. The felt paper (30#) made it through winter, but our latest wind storm had me chasing pieces everywhere.

Wanna take my time putting down the ice/water shield to minimize wrinkles and frustration, so decided not to force that, plus I did not have any flashing on hand for the lower edge. Called my coworker and she just finished her horse barn and I could have all the tarps I wanted. (they protected the wood through winter)

So this morning by 10 am it was 81 degrees, and a little humid. This means AC is a must!!!! The sun is strong up here! That throws the 24v to the curb, and the Passat was just detailed on the inside. So went out and fired up WALLY!!

Off we went on a 2.5-hour adventure. The climb outta the San Miguel River bottom is a 1st gear take it easy cause its steep, and twisty, and there's a cliff .... ALWAYS and did I mention steep? Nonetheless, we made it, but as soon as I turned into her driveway, the power steering pump started whining. JOY

So we went and fed apples to the horses, checked out the barn, and she graciously gave my kids a cookie while I checked the PS system. Appears I have a leak, JOY, and she sent me off with a quart of PS fluid and two HUGE tarps. Just Home Chepot cheapies, one brown, one blue.

After other errands, flashing, hot wheel cars, barbie, and a puzzle (750 pieces) we headed home. Going up our mtn pass, a honda inline-4 16 VVTI went by me and immediately blew the engine, metal came out from under the car. I pulled over to help her and the PS pump started growling. She called her husband, we talked, she jumped in with us, topped PS off, and away we went. Not more than 5 miles down the road, a Jeep JK was flipped upside down, we beat the paramedics. Turns out the driver has a punctured lung but should have a full recovery, or that is what my paramedic buddy told me. He was on the scene.

Got home, supper, kids wanted to fight so I put them to work helping me tarp the roof and tieing it down. It can rain now, cats and dogs!! The kids did a great job helping me weigh the tarp down.

Wally did great, minus the sub-system Power Steering. Which will be investigated at a later date. Bummer that we cannot take it camping Monday. I am beat, kids snoring away, and the wife is on top of the world enjoying some high alpine lake. Hope she's dry.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Cant Write,

Well that was a full and crazy day. Sorry to hear Wally is under the weather but he’s Ford tough and got you home. (Unlike your two new friends.)

Should be easy to find that big of a leak. Likely a power steering hose. But could be the seals on the power steering box. (Hopefully just a hose.)

Let us know what you find. Hope you have a easier day tomorrow and happy Father’s Day!

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been a bit.....

Finally removed every bit of government wiring from under the dash and hood. I have 30+' of awesome 4-ga welding cable. Used/upcycled wire loom to keep rubbing to a minimum. Reconnected factory speakers, and I have AM/FM, but the tape player is NOT working. Which sucks cause I HAVE tapes.

Called NAPA today to order Power Steering hoses, according to NAPA they have been discontinued and are not available. Even checked for 2003 as 2002 is a change over year. I Guess online we go.

While speaking of it, why did Ford decide NOT to put a cooler on the steering system? Pickups got it, but the E's did not. I will prolly look into adding one down the road, as I want this C2 pump to last, cause it sounds like I have the only one on this earth that does not whine at me when full of fluid. It also looks like I need to remove everything up to and including the rear bumper to get it out of there.

Tranny Cooler lines snugged up, cause they seep when things get warm.

Snugged up P.S. Valve cover bolts as it's seeping oil. I really think if 11 ft-lbs is the right torque for those, blue lock-tite should be added. I ordered some fel-pro replacements.

Other than that, I grabbed some strips from Acustrip to test my coolant. Molybdate = 0, which tells me I have DCA2, so NAPAkool (4056) it is. The nitrite level matched 300ppm, so I need to add DCA2, not sure how much, but will start with 1 entire pint. PH = 9. Freeze Point = 55%

Found a broken glow plug (#2) and a broken connector (#3). GP replaced, BERU came out, BERU went in. Connector replaced with jungle-site pigtail. All GP's tested at 0.3-0.7 ohms. All wires tested at 1 ohm between relay and connector. Switched the ignition on and no clicky!! Did not fire it .. cause 2 am.

Then I pulled the connector to the fast idle solenoid and applied 12v. Did not move. (gap between it and the throttle plate). Cleaned, worked shaft back and forth still does not work. Will save it for another day. I am not sure how high my idle is, but me thinks its higher than 750 cause they prolly idled a lot, with a high electrical load doing their ..... gov't things.....and it just sounds high.......

TPS checked, 1.25 V - idle; 3.94v - full throttle. Gonna leave well enough alone at this point. But will check gear oil level, and pull VSS sensor and wipe clean.

So the top of the list:
1. Flush the power steering system and replace the lines.
2. Drain a little coolant and add DCA-2 (pint) then retest
3. Carry tools, and spares

Why am I in a mad rush now......cause my solo South Dakota trip has now turned into me taking the kids. The wife needs a mental break and is headed to Italy.........She used to live there, and to defend her choice, she has only been away from the kids for maybe 10 nights total in 8 YEARS. My parents are excited to see the grandkids.

At any rate, she wants me to take her year-old suburban, #puke, oh and her new LT-5.3 liter engine appears to use more oil than any of my junk. So the vehicle choices are my 2005 Passat or WALLY. And I know the kids will want WALLY since 16 hours buckled in will NOT go over well.

Off to bed, church is gonna come early.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I cannot stand it when I hear that external fuel pump whine :idiot:

People on their resto-mods cheaped on their fuel system or the added one to carb'd vehicles, can-NOT stand them.

My buddy asked me to wire one into his 70's chevelle so it primes easier. I told him to simply fill the vent when he is under the hood checking things before he fires it after its been sitting. I adamantly REFUSED to install one.

Course my feeble mind is prolly missing the whole picture :)

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wally fired up this morning at 28F without issue. Earlier with only 6 working GP's, I knew that temp would cause struggle. So I am calling that a win.

I verified 12 volts at my Fast Idle Solenoid, so I know the temp switch works. Also verified that the temp switch opened the circuit. I need to find a working solenoid, or make me a "stick". Cause winter.

Drained coolant, and added 1 pint of napakool. It says 1 pint per 4 gallons as a precharge. So I am going to work that through the system and check it again here in a day or 2.

Tomorrow, after I wake up from night shift, will add insurance back on Wally and take it for a much needed highway cruise. And check for power steering leaks as @Big Bart suggested, which I like his thinking.

Ordered Power Steering Hoses (Gates) from RA and they are already shipped.

I still smoke on idle, blue-ish hue, and as you guys suggested, I bet it is timing. So I just need to sit down and order timing tools, and learn.

I am also learning, there is more room to work on this thing than originally observed/thought. Kinda like VW's. At least step 1 doesn't read: Remove Cab. :0

Oh and if anyone wants to meet up 11/7-11/16 between 81430 and 57301, hit me up.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kids voted to take Wally to South Dakota in a week.

Started wonderfully this morning, and my test drive showed ZERO leakage/seepage of the Power Steering System. I will drive it again tomorrow on a whinedier/windy-ier/more winding.........(whats the word) :idiot:.......... road.

Also, 1 pint of napakool fixed my SCA's right up. I am at the upper end of the green according to my test strips.

Checked the rear-diff grease, full, but sure looks like it could use a change, so I may go buy some 75w-90 synthetic with the friction modifier already in it.

I was thinking about doing ujoints in the driveshaft as well.

I basically plan to pack ALL my tools and prepare for roadside fun and to thwart off Murphy.

Oh, on a side note and I need to read up on this. Once the engine is warm AND I have driven it at RPM, it stops smoking at idle. So it smokes on cold start and up until I drive it, then will return if I excessively idle it again (20 minutes +)

Is not down on power, and hot restarts are instant. Will "roll coal" up here past half throttle. I think LONG highway drives (not interstate) are just what the doctor ordered.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@u2slow Huge shout out!!! you did not actively help me, but you had so many posts about just putting fluid in your Dana 60 FF LSD and SEE if you need to add the modifier.

Well I followed his advice, put in 1qt of Pennzoil 80-90 that said it was compatible with an LSD, and then 2.25 qts of regular 80-90. All GL-5 conventional.

Then I went to the local turn-around and did 10 turns each side at idle speed as tight as my van would turn. ZERO clattering/grabbing/anything. And then I went on my driveway/frontage road and punched it, both tires leave the exact same amount of spin.

I could NOT be happier, so thanks for piping up, as I found your advice very helpful!!!

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bed set up for our 16-hour drive:

You must be registered for see images attach

Rear Shed pretty much packed:

You must be registered for see images attach

Need to add a suitcase, but other things of note:

1. Mouse Traps still being used in full force, have killed 3 lately, and I am pretty sure they set up a nest in the rear heater duct. The rear/vent AC work fine, but the heater airflow is blocked. I have sticky traps in the runway along the heater vents.

2. The Ancient Age supply has run dry and I have been summoned as a smuggler to bring some immediately to SD. If you like whiskey, this stuff blends well for a whiskey/soda or as I prefer, a whiskey/water.

Leaving around 6 am.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick trip report: need to write a longer one when I have the time, but time with the wife take priority.

2500 miles, 15.5 mpg - 16.7 mpg

Trouble-free except for 3 different times..........
1. Vail Pass 40 mph, 2nd gear locked.
2. The IKE Gauntlet, 2nd gear locked, better than Vail
3. Monarch Pass, 2nd gear 30 mph

Everytime I worked the injection pump hard; I drove using the rearview mirror to not melt a piston, when I crested the summit and could speed back up to the posted speed limit, I could tell that it was ingesting air, and on the descent, HUGE smoke show working the air out of the fuel system.

So I need to investigate that, but otherwise it really drove great!!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
3. Monarch Pass, 2nd gear 30 mph
Yep. I know that one can be a bear without a turbo. The mirror and the pyro is how I drive that one too. Cottonwood Pass is easy since it's a max of 35 MPH. Those are the only two above the tree line passes that I've driven.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86