Wait till you get a load of this.....

Is this legal?

• Total voters

Believer45

Reaction score
In the legal sense what the original poster is towing is a full trailer. That is a trailer with a steering axle attached to the towing vehicle in such a way that the towing vehicle bears very little of the weight of the trailer. A big rig is a semi-trailer, which means the towing vehicle bears a significant amount of the weight of the trailer (this is why an 80,000 lb truck is called a semi). In his case the steering axle on his fiver happens to be removable.

Years ago the converter gears had to have license plates and lights in order to be towed behind a single pup trailer without a second trailer in doubles setups on semis (say a guy leaves Cincinnati and wants to stop in Indianapolis to pick up his second trailer that is going to California). Licensing laws have changed and the converter gears (convert a semi-trailer to a full trailer) no longer need license plates, although they do need taillights, brake lights and turn signals.

Dave / Believer45

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

http://www.trailertoad.com/

You must be registered for see images

Well, they make that item for "regular" trailers. So, using a dolly for a 5th wheel would work..... I would say. I would say it would be like buying a trailer Toad and modifying it to work w/ a 5th wheel..... :eek: The only thing I see different between a 'bumper pull' vs a 5th wheel is the tong weight and height of the hitch.

I wouldn't mind seeing pics of that custom 5th wheel adapter built. My saying is, if it looks legit (painted nice and all), you shouldn't have an issue. It wouldn't help to have a picture of a commercially sold unit just in case someone says something..... it's one thing for LE to say something about an obvious 'custom built' unit, but another to say something about a factory built unit that is sold.....

Heck, I have a 'home made' tandem semi truck converter dolly. Was done using a sliding axle group from a ****** unit and someone built an adjustable tongue on it (nice looking one too). I got pulled over and well, they said nothing. It was "safe"... chains, new air cans, thick brakes and 5th wheel plate was A-okay.

Below are 'before' modifications pics.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 6
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
It's legal in MD. RV's are exempt from DOT. Only hitch to that may be that the tow vehicles looks to be commercial in nature. You'd get pulled for that & they would want to see a class A CDL. If the TV is registered in your name & not a company name, you good.

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's legal in MD. RV's are exempt from DOT. Only hitch to that may be that the tow vehicles looks to be commercial in nature. You'd get pulled for that & they would want to see a class A CDL. If the TV is registered in your name & not a company name, you good.

Man, don't get me started on the RV's vs CDL stuff..... Some of those people who drive RV's need some training.......

And then there are those states who get people into trouble when they tow a trailer w/ a backhoe to go work on their 'summer place'. :puke: It's like the govt. wants everyone to have a CDL if they have a pickup that can tow a decent trailer... :mad:

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Heck, I have a 'home made' tandem semi truck converter dolly. Was done using a sliding axle group from a ****** unit and someone built an adjustable tongue on it (nice looking one too). I got pulled over and well, they said nothing. It was "safe"... chains, new air cans, thick brakes and 5th wheel plate was A-okay.

Below are 'before' modifications pics.

They just legalized us hauling turnpike doubles in Atlantic Canada. Two 53 foot trailers with a converter dolly. 80 500 kgs or just under 178 000 LBS. I'd LOVE to have the tractor that hauls that load! Put a wet line kit on it and strap a box to the frame and have a 650 HP tandem! HA!:sly

The tractor MUST have one flashing light on each side, or a roof mounted flasher visible from both sides. Truck can ONLY travel open highway routes during CLEAR weather and ONLY during daylight hours.
You must be registered for see images attach

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They just legalized us hauling turnpike doubles in Atlantic Canada. Two 53 foot trailers with a converter dolly. 80 500 kgs or just under 178 000 LBS. I'd LOVE to have the tractor that hauls that load! Put a wet line kit on it and strap a box to the frame and have a 650 HP tandem! HA!:sly

The tractor MUST have one flashing light on each side, or a roof mounted flasher visible from both sides. Truck can ONLY travel open highway routes during CLEAR weather and ONLY during daylight hours.
You must be registered for see images attach

WOW. :eek: 178,000lbs! I could haul a heck more grapes with the extra 70,000lbs. Could end up hauling another 25 tons....

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I seen one going the other day...it was loaded, because you chould see a little tire squat. He was climbing a hill and pretty much keeping up witht he rest of the truckers going along the same hill....I coudn't believe it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online