voltage regulator wiring question

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where does the green with a red stripe wire go to on the voltage regulator? I think it is the S connector on the regulator but don't quote me on it. I know it ends up at a 4-wire connector but after that connector I'm not sure where it goes.

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
wire color = reg terminal -goes to

light green/red = "I" terminal -to charge lamp
yellow/white = "A" terminal -to battery
white/black = "S" terminal -to "S" terminal on alt.
orange/light blue = "F" terminal -to "F" terminal on alt.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Light green with red is usually key-on power anywhere in the truck.

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
jrisingmoon said:
so whenever the key is on, there is current running through the green/red wire?

Well if your using a test light at the reg. with the wire connected and the test light clip grounded it will light when it's charging. If you test the wire without it connected to the reg it will show 12v coming through the charge bulb whenever the key is on.

Confused enough yet?

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so you're saying that there will be 12 volts going from the reg. terminal when the key is in the on position? does the green/red wire go to the FSS?

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
Hope this crappy drawing helps:

You must be registered for see images

12v is fed from the ign switch through the charge indicator bulb. The other end of the bulb goes to the "I" terminal. With the key on and the system is not charging (including engine not running) the "I" terminal acts like a ground and the light comes on. When it's charging the "I" terminal goes to 12v, with 12v to both sides of the charge bulb it goes out.

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
This one on your dash:

You must be registered for see images

Charge indicator, battery light, alternator light.... pick a name.

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because I miswired my van and accidentally connected the voltage regulator to the FSS by accident and fried my IP in the process. I'm trying to figure out where all of the voltage regulator wires go so I can get those straightened out. And I'm also trying to figure out where I can splice into an ignition switch wire because the whole thing's a mess and nothing is where it's supposed to be. I'm going to replace the IP on monday so I need to get this squared away this weekend. That's why I'm being such a pain in the ass. Sorry about that...

You have no idea how much help you've been. My van will probably be running for the first time in 6 months because of you. thanks for the help :hail

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
Ah, OK. Like Agnem said, light green/white is key-on power. Glad to help. ;Sweet

Last edited:

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one last thing, this time about the alternator terminals. There are two terminals, S and F. One terminal runs parallel to the belt, the other perpendicular to the belt. Which is which? I had to remove the plastic alternator adapter since the connectors wouldn't connect to the alternator with it on so i need this one last thing and I should have the thing wired correctly.
You have no idea how much help you've been. Thanks a lot. ;Sweet

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
The "F" terminal is the one closer to the front and parallel with the pulley. The orange/lt blue wire from the reg. "F" terminal goes there.

The other one is the white/black wire connecting S-to-S the same way.

Napa or anybody with a Motormite catalog should have or be able to get replacement pigtails with the right connectors for the alt. and reg.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online

No members online now.