Very low boost and an oil leak

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I went out and tinkered with the truck some and finally got the boost gauge hooked up. Think I figure out why my truck feels like such a dog I ain't getting hardly any boost. When I drive it like normal with light acceleration shifting at 2300 the needle stays on zero and never moves. When I wail on it an run it to red line it peaks at 5psi and takes a long time to get there. Not really sure where to start. Intake hat is tight and has a new rubber seal on it. All my gauge fittings are tight. I am wondering if my wastegate could be stuck open but not sure how to check it.

Problem number 2 I discovered is I have a pretty major oil leak coming from the oil supply line feeding the turbo. I don't think its the stock line its a rubber line with brass fittings. Every fitting is leaking. I also have my oil pressure gauge hooked up at the turbo and all those fittings are leaking too. Everything is tight but its pushing oil up through the threads I guess. I have had this problem with it before but now its way worse. I guess I need some ideas on some different fittings or something.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how easy does the impeller spin by finger? Any wobble?

if it aint getting oil you probably roasted the bearing. these spin with a ton of RPM and need lubrication. Rebuild it if the impellers arent shot and haven't gotten touchy feely with the turbo housing :rotflmao

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Is this a factory turbo with the crushed down pipe, and unadjusted waste gate?
If so those are your problems.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea factory turbo with the crushed down pipe. So whats the point of a turbo if it acts more like a restriction than a boost. Anything I can do to help it? I don't have money for a rebuild right now. The impeller seems in good shape and no end play in the bearings. Seems to spin ok and I can hear it in the cab but not getting the boost.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I know not all the guys running 12psi have a psd downtube so must have something to do with the wastegate or a boost leak or both.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radeon1314

Members online