upgrade my 86f150

amp1268

Reaction score
Hello to all fellow Oilburners!! I am new to the site... but I have a pressing question.. one that is burning me up because I cant find the answers that I need...I have searched the interned hi and lo for answers and have come up with nothing... even asked a few of the local shops around here. I have an 86 f150 with the 300ci I6, and a 4speed manual. I'd like to swap in my mildly hopped up sohc 4.6 and automatic tranny (4r70w). My question is what must be done to make the engine swap successful... i'm not worried so much about the tranny. but I was told that I would need engine perches from a 97 or newer f150 that had a 4.6 in it and the motor mounts as well. Does anyone know, heard, seen anything of this seemingly major feat.?? I guess another one of my biggest questions is yes I could go get motor mounts and frame perches from a 97 or newer but will they bolt up or weld up in my 86 frame or is there differences in the frames?? Please help!!!

Keeway

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
yeah you would most likely have to do some frame hacking and fabrication to get the motor mounts and everything to sit correctly as the frames are probably not the same. it seems like a awful lot of work and engineering but can be done. hooking up the wiring and getting everything working correctly is probably going to be the bigger challenge than puittin the engine in itself

amp1268

Reaction score
thanx for the advise mate... from what I found out the only thing that might not require a whole lot of fiddling with is the tranny... a place called lentech (featured in one of the mustangs and muscle fords articles) guy told me the tranny would be a shoe in... but the engine would be the bigger challenge

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well 1995 was the last year for the 5.0 in the mustang, and 1996 was a 4.6, what i would do is find a local guy that sells mustang parts and ask if he has any k members that you can look at, cause if they are interchange, the engine mounts should be as well.
a few years ago i installed a 351w into a 1989 ford bronco II. tight fit, but it does fit. well the customer bought the fancy "advance adapters" engine mount kit for this conversion and while i had them loose i took them to the parts store and compared them to 1990 mustang engine mounts, and they were the same mounts, but a lot more money. i guess what im saying is go to a parts store, look through there engine mount book, and compare there engine mounts.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
There was a fella on F150online i think that swapped a 4.6 into a 92-96 F150...lemme see if i can find the thread. It shows a good deal of what needs to be modified, since the 80-96 F150s are generally the same u can use his thread as a sort of how to.

Edit: http://www.f150online.com/forums/pr...ject-1995-2wd-f150-4-6-sohc-single-turbo.html
Its a pretty lenghty thread, and he put a single turbo on it as well for a time.