Turning up the pump

dieselman29200

Pa. Oil Burner
Reaction score
Hi all, I was trying to find a post on "turning up the pump" but havent quite found what I was looking for. :dunno
I am wondering if anyone could tell me what their maximum egts is for the paticular setting on their pump.
I am also specificly wondering what the max temp would be for a pump that is turned up one flat.

Thanks for any input:thumbsup:

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
http://www.members.shaw.ca/k2pilot/Injection pump adjustment article.htm
^^For adjusting the IP^^

As for the EGTs, Im pretty sure there is no egt that relates to IP adjustments. I even heard of trucks that were hitting 1250* from the factory without adjustment. Just make sure you have a pyrometer before tinkering with the IP, cause a little goes a LOOONG way.
And keep it under 1150* constantly, but short mbursts of 1250* are Ok (but I wouldnt do it)

02AutoWag

Reaction score
Are you talking about an n/a engine or turbo?
Does EGT matter on a NA motor?
Are people monitoring EGT for the protection of the turbo only?
On my NA trucks, can I just turn things up until smoke becomes my only issue without worry about destroying the motor?

turbo_joe

Reaction score
On my NA trucks, can I just turn things up until smoke becomes my only issue without worry about destroying the motor?

if your egt's get too hot for too long regardless if its n/a or turbo you could melt pistons

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you're gonna hole your pistons well before you hurt the turbo, as far as high EGT's are concerned.

By the way, for what it's worth, I have mine turned up two flats with the boost set at 10 psi. Unless I'm lugging it in a high gear, I have to get on it pretty good to even hit 1000*. Runs about 6-7 psi going down the highway.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
i have mine up about 3 flats i'm n/a i have to watch the pyro when pullin a heavy trailer but other than that i'm good. but i have seen personally a stock na idi hit 1200 relatively quick towing through hills so i think it all depends on terrain, condition of fuel system, load, outside temp there are just to many factors to say that x flats up will put you at y egt

tractorman86

Reaction score
i have mine up about 3 flats i'm n/a i have to watch the pyro when pullin a heavy trailer but other than that i'm good. but i have seen personally a stock na idi hit 1200 relatively quick towing through hills so i think it all depends on terrain, condition of fuel system,timing, load, outside temp there are just to many factors to say that x flats up will put you at y egt

that's exactly it

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score

EGT's matter reguardless if the motor is N/A or turbo.

EGT's will kill the pistons long before it will damage the turbo. You worry about EGT's and turbo damage at shut down....not while driving. You want low EGT's (300 or less) when shuting down a turbo'ed diesel to help prevent oil from coaking on the turbo's bearings.

Like stated above, EGT's can easily get into dangerous temps with a stock IP on an N/A. NEVER adjust the IP without a pyro.;Pissed And, in my opinion.....you know what they say about opinions.....EVERY diesel should have a pyrometer.

Heath

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
just to give you a little insight i had my pump up about half a flat before i installed my pyro but worried constantly and took it easy. installed the pyro and i had 1100 deg in 5th at wot pulling a trailer on the steepest incline around. which is like an ant hill compared to some i have seen(i live around houston, tx on the gulf). i advanced my timing and turned it up 2 and a half flats and now i push about 1200 right at the top of the incline loaded but i have seen 1250 loaded tryin to pass on the highway. The main question you have to ask yourself is do you want to wince and hope you don't melt down and have to do an engine swap everytime you mash that pedal. or just spend about 1/5 the money and 1/100 the time installing a gauge to know you won't melt down.

it was an easy answer for me

02AutoWag

Reaction score
EGT's matter reguardless if the motor is N/A or turbo.

EGT's will kill the pistons long before it will damage the turbo. You worry about EGT's and turbo damage at shut down....not while driving. You want low EGT's (300 or less) when shuting down a turbo'ed diesel to help prevent oil from coking on the turbo's bearings.

Like stated above, EGT's can easily get into dangerous temps with a stock IP on an N/A. NEVER adjust the IP without a pyro.;Pissed And, in my opinion.....you know what they say about opinions.....EVERY diesel should have a pyrometer.

Heath

I appreciate everyone's input... very informative.;Sweet

In regards to my TDIs, there is little talk of turbo damage at shutdown. There is a suggestion that a high speed highway run, followed by pulling off at a rest stop immediately off the highway would be the only time you'd need to run the car for an extra 30 seconds to allow for cooling. I believe it's the synthetic oil that is used which prevents the coking that would otherwise harm the IDIs using non-synthetic oils.

Since all TDIs have turbos, I thought everyone's concern for EGT was the turbo during highspeed runs...now I know that's not the case. Piston damage would occur far sooner than turbo damage.

All my TDIs are chipped with larger nozzles. My tuner suggests an EGT gauge, but also says he trims things down a little for those without. He still advises against sustained highspeed runs until I get my gauges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online