Turbo vs Non Turbo MPG

jay_t

Reaction score
A couple of stock 1994 F250 IDI, extended cab, 4WDs. No lifts, no big tires, no dinking with the pump, as stock as it comes for the comparison. Which gets better MPG? Looking around online, the turbos seem to have a lower MPG. I thought turbos on diesels increased fuel mileage?

m885

Reaction score
Boost is addictive, period. Get boost once and you can never get it enough, and you always want more...

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my MPG went down after the installation of a turbo.it went back up some with an intercooler but n/a was best.
that said,the truck works so much easier on the hills (as n/a there was never any problems for hauling on flat ground) that the slight drop doesn't bother me a bit.;)

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Honestly, I think it depends on your driving style, and which turbo kit you use.

Some of the turbos are better at higher rpm's.
Some start down low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theoretically turbo makes it more efficient but most people wont experience that. It's really hard to drive it the same way after it's turbo'd.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I couldn't imagine mine without a turbo, it's a total dog. Never driven one NA. Drove my 460 truck for a couple days the first time in a month since we got snow as it's lifted and locked and the IDI is stock with bald tires... No comparison at all, I was s. 460 just barely touch the gas and it's moving quick. It's on 35" tires now but I remember when it was on 38.5"x15" showing off in front of a friend and getting tire spin on the 2-3 shift and chirping the 3-4... Yeah that truck is on it's third ZF5. Changed the cam to something more suitable for towing so no more on/off switch at 3000 RPM and 6500 RPM shifts, but still it moves pretty good and it's got a boat load more torque.

Drove the IDI today and was just sad, can't get out of it's own way. 6.9 with non wastegate Banks and C6. Gave it pedal like driving the 460 and barely rolling, to the floor and still not moving all that quickly. It'll do alright once it gets over 5 psi or so, but still it's damn slow. Haven't towed with it yet but hoping that'll be redeeming. When I swap a ZF5 in it I'd like to do a reseal, clean/paint and head studs so I can put more boost to it and hopefully get some decent performance. Anyhow, over about 2000 miles it has averaged 10.6 MPG with a best of 12.6 and worst of 8.25 ( before setting timing, it was retarded a few degrees). I'd like to think with a ZF5 swap and some tuning/pump/injectors/whatever I could average 15 MPG. 460 I didn't monitor MPG religiously but was getting somewhere around 8-10 in normal mixed driving, 12.5 MPG highway at 70 MPH (2000 RPM) and 10 MPG highway towing at 65-70 MPH.

I used to joke I drove my 460 like a diesel, rarely seeing over 2000 RPM... But now that I have a diesel I realize how wrong I was, the IDI doesn't start building boost until 2000 RPM and to get moving quick it's shifting in the 2500-3000 RPM range. Driving my 460 normally and shifting around 2000 RPM is faster than driving the IDI pedal to the floor. :(

jay_t

Reaction score
So it is the foot and the fun factor of the turbo that affects the MPG. Thanks.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was non-turbo, completely stock on 265's, and it was getting 17-19 mpg with pretty descent power.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really think it makes no difference. I get the similar mpg to what everyone else gets 15-18 highway and 10-12 city, it seems like those number are about the same for most people, whether turbo or non-turbo.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All things remaining the same, adding a turbo *should* help mileage slightly if you kept the same fuel rate and driving style.... having more combustion air means a more efficient and complete fuel burn particularly at high altitude and high load. Too restrictive of a turbo could cause higher losses due to exhaust backpressure though... hard to really say.

Turning the fuel screw up obviously means you burn more fuel at max output, but on the other hand you have more power and can accelerate / go up the hill faster, which means less time at the higher fuel rate. I think it pretty much balances out in the end. Been a while since I've driven an NA truck, but with the turbo setup I have now I see 16-18mpg light and ~12 at 15-16k gcw which seems about the same as what I hear from NA folks.

If you're looking for fuel economy a turbo probably isn't going to get you enough to be worth it.... drivability is where the turbo comes in.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I had a 88 f-350 regular cab with a 400 c-6 3.55's and a sneaker tow boom in the pickup bed. It never broke the 8 mpg mark empty and towing was worse. It might have been faster then my 87 f-250 super cab 6.9 c-6 3.55 , but it never passed a gas station. My 6.9 got 17 mpg
My 94 cc 4wd 4.10 zf-5 ats turbo getts 14 running 75 ,16 if i keep it at 60-65.
It will pull Windem mountain in NY, at least a 2500 ft elevation change in 5th gear and never hit above 800 on the pyro. The road my cabin is on is a 900 ft elevation change in less than a mile and it pulls it in 3rd with a snowmobile in the bed and 2 on an enclosed trailer in 4wd, still getting 14 mpg. I'll keep my idi.
I couldn't imagine mine without a turbo, it's a total dog. Never driven one NA. Drove my 460 truck for a couple days the first time in a month since we got snow as it's lifted and locked and the IDI is stock with bald tires... No comparison at all, I was s. 460 just barely touch the gas and it's moving quick. It's on 35" tires now but I remember when it was on 38.5"x15" showing off in front of a friend and getting tire spin on the 2-3 shift and chirping the 3-4... Yeah that truck is on it's third ZF5. Changed the cam to something more suitable for towing so no more on/off switch at 3000 RPM and 6500 RPM shifts, but still it moves pretty good and it's got a boat load more torque.

Drove the IDI today and was just sad, can't get out of it's own way. 6.9 with non wastegate Banks and C6. Gave it pedal like driving the 460 and barely rolling, to the floor and still not moving all that quickly. It'll do alright once it gets over 5 psi or so, but still it's damn slow. Haven't towed with it yet but hoping that'll be redeeming. When I swap a ZF5 in it I'd like to do a reseal, clean/paint and head studs so I can put more boost to it and hopefully get some decent performance. Anyhow, over about 2000 miles it has averaged 10.6 MPG with a best of 12.6 and worst of 8.25 ( before setting timing, it was retarded a few degrees). I'd like to think with a ZF5 swap and some tuning/pump/injectors/whatever I could average 15 MPG. 460 I didn't monitor MPG religiously but was getting somewhere around 8-10 in normal mixed driving, 12.5 MPG highway at 70 MPH (2000 RPM) and 10 MPG highway towing at 65-70 MPH.

I used to joke I drove my 460 like a diesel, rarely seeing over 2000 RPM... But now that I have a diesel I realize how wrong I was, the IDI doesn't start building boost until 2000 RPM and to get moving quick it's shifting in the 2500-3000 RPM range. Driving my 460 normally and shifting around 2000 RPM is faster than driving the IDI pedal to the floor. :(

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online