Turbo shaft play question

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a "new" (reman) Turbo to replace my 220,000mi Turbo on the truck because The shaft moves side to side and looks as if the blades could make contact with the houseing. When I looked at the new one, the shaft also has side to side movement on that one too :confused:
How much of a difference will it make once the turbo has oil in it? Does this sound right? I know some movement is normal, but i think they both move about the same.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yes once the oil system is pressurized it will center right up - you have to have some play or it could not spin freely. What you feel on the end of the shaft will feel like tons but it's probably not all that much at all. The real biggie is that you don't have much or any axial play but lateral play is ok.

Are you sure the old one is actually bad? Maybe you were jumping the gun on that one... I know from the turbo's I have had that they all have play. If they don't screech at ya or toss blades yer way then leave 'em alone is my motto.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes once the oil system is pressurized it will center right up - you have to have some play or it could not spin freely. What you feel on the end of the shaft will feel like tons but it's probably not all that much at all. The real biggie is that you don't have much or any axial play but lateral play is ok.

Are you sure the old one is actually bad? Maybe you were jumping the gun on that one... I know from the turbo's I have had that they all have play. If they don't screech at ya or toss blades yer way then leave 'em alone is my motto.

:puke: Pucking oil is also a good sign that it is time to replace or rebuild
thats why we are running N/A right now. going to have ours rebuilt soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online